1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trophy appreciation

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kingpin, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Kingpin

Kingpin

I don't drive my trophy very often, but this morning was out sat at a set of lights and old chap pulled up along side pointing for me to wind the window down - I expect he wants to tell me a brake light or something was out, but no.
    He just was interested in the car and seemed to appreciate seeing it.

I'm guessing this happens quite a bit, anyone else find this?

SharkyUK and Rik Perry like this.
  2. Rik Perry

Rik Perry

Trophy No.:
    082/500
    Best one i had was my Tesco delivery guy getting all misty eyed when he saw it on my drive when i first got it ..

3. BenG

BenG ClioTrophy Moderator

Trophy No.:
    266/500
    Maybe it's the same guy.

I'm finding that as it gets older it stands out a lot more, I don't see many 182's around these parts. I once saw a Trophy driving in the area and thought it looked awesome. It occurred to me that I must look just as awesome. Nobody has ever stopped me at the lights and confirmed this though.

SharkyUK, Kingpin and Rik Perry like this.
  4. SharkyUK

SharkyUK

Trophy No.:
    165/500
    @BenG - you look awesome mate :smile:

BenG likes this.
  5. Retro74

Retro74

Trophy No.:
    259/500
    Never met anyone that even knows what it is!

A while ago I had a Subaru Impreza Prodrive Style, 310 BHP, 0-60 in 4.52 seconds, massive spoiler etc. I used to get stopped all the time by people that wanted to talk about it - a lot of them were, erm, dodgy characters too. It was certainly interesting

6. Chris197F1

Chris197F1

Whilst my T was at my mates garage last week, he said a guy came in and saw it and chewed his ear off for an hour about it lol

Kingpin likes this.
  7. Frp422

Frp422

Trophy No.:
    407/500
    I've had a few comments, also notably from Tesco staff (is that a Trophy, never seen a 182 with recaros in it before). Also since my brother runs a garage one of his friends has a 172 and he mentioned I had a Trophy. My brother couldn't quite get over the reaction and enthusiasm he had for the fact I had a Trophy. If you're into cars, you definitely know what a 182 Trophy is regardless of the price point of your daily driver. I've even had kudos from someone who drives a 911 turbo. It seems the classic hot hatch is garnering the same kind of appreciation that a weekend sports car (Lotus, MG, Austin Healey etc) had a few generations ago

Chris197F1 likes this.
  8. Rik Perry

Rik Perry

Trophy No.:
    082/500
    I was on Weds last week sat at a set of lights and the guy next to me was in an awesome looking blue Audi RS4 and he gave ME the thumbs up... Clearly I left him for dead ... For the first 5 meters.. .

MC1, Hampy, Dazzler32 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mikeyjp

Mikeyjp

It is nice when you get the odd person that knows you are driving something a bit different and rare, i have had the odd person wind down there window on a motorway, and shout "nice car mate", and the last time i had to goto the local Renault dealer, i parked up went inside, look out 10 mins later to see about 8 mechanics all stood around it having a look

Pete Merrick, Karltrophy and SharkyUK like this.
  10. Hampy

Hampy

I think the T is a great Q car as not many know what it is. Had a ph1Clio V6 for a while and got fed up with youngsters asking where I got the bodykit from! Best car by far for getting stopped and asked about was my 3 door Sierra RS Cosworth, the car I most regret selling. Couldn't go anywhere witthout being noticed.

Miller and Beno66 like this.
  11. Ashtons99

Ashtons99

Trophy No.:
    449/500
    It's a yellow Lotus Elise you need if you want to attract attention. Went up to the lakes in it last year, got mobbed by Chinese tourists wanting photos everywhere we stopped. !!

12. hoolio

hoolio

Trophy No.:
    307/500
    I think with time the T will garner even more 'legendary' status and this will begin to happen even more, it's fairly random at the moment and nothing like when I pulled up at some lights in the little 5GTT and emptied out most of a pub onto the pavement to gawp.

Karltrophy and Beno66 like this.
  13. BenG

BenG ClioTrophy Moderator

Trophy No.:
    266/500
    I'm not suggesting that the Lotus isn't a head turner but the Chinese tourists around the lakes (particularly the Bowness area) are well known for taking pictures of absolutely everything and anything. It's as if they've come from another planet and they're seeing Earth for the first time. It's quite amusing.

14. Heysham1878

Heysham1878

its reading stuff like this that makes me question myself with regards to getting rid of the T.

Noticed a lad looking round it last summer when parked up at my mums. He was amazed, as he had only ever seen a T in a magazine before.

As mentioned above, the level of interest in these is only going to increase year on year.

Rik Perry likes this.
  15. Rik Perry

Rik Perry

Trophy No.:
    082/500
    When there's 13 in a line cruising thru Wales that gets some heads turning I can tell you !!

SharkyUK and Chris197F1 like this.
  16. Kingpin

Kingpin

Complete meyhem when they all need fuel!