Reaction score
2005 ‘55’ Renaultsport 182 Trophy – Number 381.
47k miles.
3 Previous Owners.
Tax – End of November 2012.
MOT – June 2013.
Scorpion RS192 stainless exhaust with De-cat.
ITG Panel filter.
Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5w 50 oil.
Pirelli P Zero Nero (6mm).
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (4mm).
Sachs dampers with recent refurb at BG motorsport at Silverstone.
Eibach camber bolts.
AST Solid topmounts.
Whiteline Rear Anti roll bar.
Full geometry setup – fronts running -2 degrees camber.
The UKs first "Bells and Rotor " Wilwood brake conversion by Jamsport costing £1200. Fitted with Midilight calipers, braided hoses, 295mm AP rotors and DS2500 pads.
http://www.jam-sport.co.uk/home/ren...ot-brake-kit-with-seperate-bell-ap-rotor.html
Will also include original brake setup consisting of KTEC vented/grooved discs and DS2500 pads.
New rear pads.
Very clean Recaro Trendline seats.
Carbon Front Splitter (slightly cracked).
Variable Wiper stalk upgrade.
2x Renault Wallets - 1 with tyre foam and accident camera, 1x with all Renault manuals and service book.

Bad points
Front alloys could do with a refurb.
Steering wheel has melting and a repair to the thumb grip.
Dirty seatbelts
1 Key.

I only bought this car last week, and after the seller (who is now ignoring my calls) promised me that it was HPI clear, turns out that it is a CAT D. It has since been repaired (damage to the rear quarter I think) and it’s a pretty good job (I failed to spot any damage when I bought the car which tells you how good it is). The rest of the car is in pretty good condition and drives perfectly – it would make an extremely capable track day toy. I was also told that both the belts where done last year at 40k, but have no proof of this. I am only looking to get back what I paid for this (which is still pretty cheap considering the upgrades). It has done approx 2k miles in the last 12 months including 1 track day).

I have been a member of cliosport.net for over 10 years and am also a member of cliotrophy.co.uk. This is my 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Renaultsport Clio, I know how good they are, but believe me, you will struggle to find ANYTHING that drives as well as this car for the money. I am being totally upfront about this car – I’m not trying to hide anything – unlike the seller I bought it off.

Reaction score
I read your post over on CS and thought you'd got a real bargain.
Gutted for you. Good luck with the sale, still a lot of car for the money.

Reaction score
Are you serious!!!
I saw this car go and was upset that I had missed out on it.

I think you need to go back to the seller and have it out with him. That is not right. You should demand your money back.

What is the deal with someone selling a CatD car and disclosing the fact? I thought there was something that if you ask if it has ever been in an accident or written off and they say no when in fact it has, that you have some sort of redress. Maybe I made that up?
I think there should be something though.

Honestly gutted for you mate.

Reaction score
Its my own fault really, but stupidly i trusted the guy - I've got a text from him saying it was clear. Now he says that he was not aware, but its proving this fact that is pretty much impossible. Hopefully i haven't lost too much money but i've learnt a good lesson - trust no fcuker!

I know it was £1000 under priced so i guess its swings and roundabouts really. If i can't shift it quickly i'll just keep it as its pretty well set up.

Reaction score
Strictly speaking, if you have it in writing from him that the car is HPI clear, you may have a legal case - purely as you specifically asked him, & he lied. However, unfortunately, this just proves how important an HPI check is. Trust nobody. Gutted for you Clart.

Why dont you just keep it though? If its mint, Cat D is just a label.

Reaction score
Strictly speaking, if you have it in writing from him that the car is HPI clear, you may have a legal case - purely as you specifically asked him, & he lied. However, unfortunately, this just proves how important an HPI check is. Trust nobody. Gutted for you Clart.

Why dont you just keep it though? If its mint, Cat D is just a label.

But he's denying all knowledge, so its impossible to prove that he actually knew.

I'm tempted to keep it and i do love driving it, but the whole experience has left me feeling pretty annoyed.

Reaction score
Thought you said you had a text from him saying it was clear?

Unfortunately, with no proof of the cambelt being done, & it being Cat D, if you sell you are going to lose a lot.

Reaction score
Haahaaa i find this so funnny, BUT anyway, you can sue this scum of the earth, it'll prob cost you 10quid in postage and a couple of letters at first.. You defo have a legal case cost another 80quid if he sent you the text saying its hpi clear.

Firstly write off to dvla asking them for all previous owners, costs 2.50quid then contact the last owner before him asking if he smashed it or sold it to this scum

Then contact HPI and ask for the insurance company that wrote if off, write off to them asking where whom it was sold to, then if its a insurance auction contact them and ask whom they sold it to, would either be this scum or another salvage agent if so ask them, by law they have to keep all records with photo id.

Your getting all this info to try and find out if the scum whom sold it to knew for a fact it was a writeoff, if he did, for example, bought it off the salvage auction then you've hit jackpot.

Next send a letter to this scum saying your gonna take this matter to court if he doesn't refund your money.

The court procedure is very cheap & setup to help the regular folk whom get ripped off by scums and big companies, its call moneyclaimonline, costs 35quid to file a claim and around another 80quid court fees, if the scum dont turnup to defend himself the court will go in ur favour, then you have the power of the balliff to go and bust his door down and cease goods if dont pay up

As i said it may sound a long winded process but why the hell should u lose out.

call consumer direct also for free advice, save on legal fees, but if you do the above urself at the cost of a few stamps you can get moneyback, and what normally is the case scums like this are traders selling a privates, so it stops that as the court dont take to lightly to fraudsters

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, still mulling my options over at the moment.

Reaction score
whats there to mull over? look on ebay u can get minted one's for 4/5k so who on earth will pay that for this cat d ex salvage scrap?

can see this sellin for nothing over 3k if u can actually find a buyer, people run a mile frm cat d's or c's unless there piss cheap, why should u lose out?

for the sake of a few letters and waiting a few weeks for replies u could potentially get ur moneyback

Reaction score
With all due respect, this is a for sale thread, if you want to argue the toss over the price start your own thread.

Reaction score
well sod u then, was only offering advice, i hope u get screwed again with another writeoff, LOL £4.2k for a cat d scrap, goodluck and plenty of it will b needed to convince anyone to part with there money

Reaction score
Now now girls! Handbags down :)

Either you forget about the CatD part, keep it, drive it, love it. Like you said the car is nicely set up.
Alternatively, I would return the car to standard. Sell it as a CatD for say £3k'ish and sell the parts to get as close to the rest of the £1.2k as you can.

Reaction score
well sod u then, was only offering advice, i hope u get screwed again with another writeoff, LOL £4.2k for a cat d scrap, goodluck and plenty of it will b needed to convince anyone to part with there money

If the car wasn't a cat D it would be worth around 5200, going by what others are advertised for. They are normally 20% less than a non cat d, thus making it reasonably priced.

Obviously any offer around £4k would be considered which i think i still a fairly cheap car.

Reaction score
Trophy No.

Well that's got to be a record, four posts up and already chucking the toys. You offered good advice and the op has said he is considering his options, accept that with good grace and stop acting like a tool.

Maksing's idea seems pretty sound as It probably will be difficult/long winded to prove.

Reaction score
If the car wasn't a cat D it would be worth around 5200, going by what others are advertised for. They are normally 20% less than a non cat d, thus making it reasonably priced.

Obviously any offer around £4k would be considered which i think i still a fairly cheap car.

this is my last post on here, get back to reality, ask this chap who's been tryin to shift he's "CAT D" scrap for near on 4 months;

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4026340.htm

3.5k LOL

there a few others been on for months

more like 2.5k max if u can find someone to actually part with there money for a ex scrap cat d

anyway good"luck"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Right i've had a think, and I'm advertising it for £3800 now. If it doesn't sell quickly, i'll sell the bits off, return to standard and just keep it.

If i keep it for a couple of years it will be worth fcuk all anyway.

Reaction score
Can't the cat d label be removed by a trip to an sva test station? This proves the repair work is up to standard of original quality. May be a route to go down.