Reaction score
Yes tread shuffle not truffle shuffle! :lol:

Well my question is, is there such a thing? If so what does it mean!

I ask because had the Trophy booked in yesterday as im noticing small knocking noise when moving the steering wheel ever so slightly from side to side! You can also feel it through the floor pan but massivly but you know its there! Now i was thinking it could be steering arms, bottom ball joints but as it had MOT on friday nothing was pulled up! So then got me thinking maybe its the steering rack as I have heard steering racks can become loose on 182's not common but come across it before!

So the tech had a look and came back with this explantion of Tread shuffle =D> failing that wait till it gets worse his says then bring it back!

Could someone see if theres does it while slighting moving the steering wheel left to right to see if there is any noise whats so ever!

Cheers
PR

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hey mate.

I have no idea what Tread Shuffle is but ive just been out to have a look. I tried it with the power steering on and off and got no knocking, there were no strange noises or anything.

Reaction score
Cheers Mate,

So it cant be tread shuffle then! It only works once the engine is running. Had it on the ramps with the swivels on the front tyres but cant get it to make the noise whilst its on the swivels! So my thinking is its doing it while the tyres are under load and when moving it creates this!

So along with my passenger seat slide handle I've got noises coming from everywhere!

Ajr

Reaction score
Sane noise on mine, linked to substandard handling. There is slight play in the bottom section of my steering column, feels like there is something else too, i won't stop until i get to the bottom of it!

pol

Reaction score
surely tread shuffle is the movement you feel when you wiggly the wheel and the tyre squirms about because it's under load on the contact patch? i think you feel it more on gravel.

it sounds like it's steering/suspension related. question is it rack/col related or is it suspension related? is the powersteering on an electric or belt driven pump? my old mans mk2 golf used to get a vibration on full lock at parking speeds, couldn't fix it. :lol:

Reaction score
My reckonings is that it must steering rack related i think its going to need a more in depth search!

Reaction score
I've discovered that I too have this issue :( at first I only noticed a slight clunk in the steering upon first applicatio of lock following a period of the car standing still (a couple of hours or day or so) today I checked for the feeling of a lose joint and the detection of knocking through the floor pan and sadly I found them.. Interested to know what you guys find out. I'm loathed to take my car to the local dealer but equally ren tech aren't 5 mins down the road and they'd be my preference.

Reaction score
That's true.. Dad and I are hopefully going to get the car up on stands tonight and see what we can find. PR (or anyone else for that matter), are you able to get any diagrams at all please?

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
That's true.. Dad and I are hopefully going to get the car up on stands tonight and see what we can find. PR (or anyone else for that matter), are you able to get any diagrams at all please?
What diagrams do you need?

See i thought it would be worn ball joints but since it had an MOT on friday and nothing was picked up or no advisorys i thinking it maybe something else! If it is this the Mot inspector is going to get a few choice words! Now thinking he was the one who checked for this noise claiming it to be tread shuffle maybe he was covering himself!

Reaction score
Any that show the steering system would be quite handy please.. :D

I looked over on CS and trawled through various posts pointing to similar issues. Noticed that AJR has had significant discussions on this matter and a number of others have experienced it too. It was slightly worrying that there wasn't a thread that actually stated that someone had found a complete resolution to the issue.

Am really keen to get up to Bedford for the EVO track evening with Marrow tomorrow (not to drive, just hopefully to grab some passenger rides..) I'm under the impression that driving this distance shouldn't be an issue with the current problem..

Seems you need to be having polite words with the MOT tester for sure!

Reaction score
See i thought it would be worn ball joints but since it had an MOT on friday and nothing was picked up or no advisorys

I had my MOT done the other day, was half expecting the drivers side ball joint to fail. To my suprise it passed and like you had no advisorys. (I've brought stand alone ones but not yet fitted them).
Apperently, when they inspected my ball joints a while ago, they said there was slight play in the drivers side but would still pass an MOT !!!!!

So could well be a ball joint, mine clunks sometimes when pulling away I'm putting it down to my ball joint (fingers crossed). [-o<

Ajr

Reaction score
I ordered part 20 from the 2nd diagram and it didn't fit, the two left hand columns are for base models with the electric steering motor on the column, then the one on the right(which costs £340odd) is the one for a trophy...

I guess i should update this thread with my problem.

I get the knock through the floor. It is now accompanied by a creak/scrape sound at the same time, only when taking up the dead movement in the steering at stationary.
There is also a clicking sound from the front suspension when manouvering at low speed, only audible with the window open.

I looked over it thoroughly and couldn't find anything noticeably wrong at the suspension end, and the sound is coming from the column/rack.
Rentech spent hours looking over it and were stumped. I showed them the column bottom UJ section and there is movement there. But to me it feels like there is more to it.

Unfortunately a fuel hose split on my beemer on monday so i've been driving the clio all week and it's so frustrating to feel the greatness of the car, but at the same time it's wandering everywhere and really very nasty to drive.

Reaction score
I'm hoping i should have a definate answer by tuesday!

Ajr i to get this squeak/cracking form the same area and like you said it normally comes when driving off from stationary! So Rentech didnt give an inkling to what it might be?

Reaction score
I got my dad to sit in the driver's seat yesterday and asked him what he thought of the 'clonk' that you can feel through the floor pan when moving the wheel with the engine running. His comment was that I was being over sensitive and that he would expect something such as that when trying to move the wheels of a stationary car. I decided that I would leave it for now and see how it goes. I'm also meeting Marrow tonight at Bedford so will see if his does it. I don't have any handling deterioration so at this stage perhaps I am being hypersensitive?! The only thing I can say is that on full lock when manouvering, I sometimes get a slight creaking type of noise (not the well documented strut top noise as far as I'm aware).. I shall keep an eye on that. Sadly when I thought all was ok, my emissions warning light lit up this morning - grrr!!!

Ajr

Reaction score
My noise is almost certainly coming from the column. I have a 182 cup column on 18k at home but i've been putting off fitting it for ages because it looks like a bit of a ballache to do and i'm not paying £225 labour, besides if i do it myself i'll know it's been done properly.

Rentech couldn't find anything. Mike was on holiday though, not sure if the other guys are up to his standard but they're pretty good.

I have a whirring noise that is gradually getting noisier too, from what sounds like the front o/s wheel, which i think is the wheel bearing or driveshaft, probably whatever is causing the clicking noise.

I will get to the bottom of it eventually, when i have the time to take it all apart!