Reaction score
What is the latest thinking on this for the T?

I'm currently looking for a set of wheels and tyres to use on the track (not for the road at all), my starter for 10 is:
16" rims and R888's but is that the best option?? Also, related to the track, what tyre pressures do people think work best?

Thanks J :?: :?:

Reaction score
I'm getting Toyo R1R's for the summer/track. A better wearing than the R888s with almost the same grip levels. But I'll be using on road too, but if you don't need them for the road R888s I think

Reaction score
roystinho said:
I'm getting Toyo R1R's for the summer/track. A better wearing than the R888s with almost the same grip levels. But I'll be using on road too, but if you don't need them for the road R888s I think

Almost the same grip - less wear sounds too good to be true! - I'd like the tyres to last more than 2 trackdays though that's for sure.

Assume you are on the standard 16"' rims?

Reaction score
The reason they wear better is because they start with 6.5mm of tread rather than 4mm on R888s

I have gone for Hankook RS2s similar idea (I.e. Halfway between road and track tyres) to the R1Rs but £50 cheaper per corner!!

Reaction score
The RS2 is quite a good compromise - road tyre compound with semi track tyre construction.

The only guide that I can offer re pressures is that Kumho advised me ot run thge V70A (a track tyre) at 26/24 and that was fine - this was for hill climbing where the tyres hardly even get warm.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
go with 15" rims, tyres are cheaper and it gives a slightly better gear ratio for track work - i've never topped out in 5th on any UK track including Thruxton and Silverstone.

Then i'd recommend R888's - always done me well and from personal experience compared to the toyo's (which i run on the road at the mo) and far superior in grip terms when warm. We are talking about a semi slick track tyre compared to a compromised road tyre.

Reaction score
Cue said:
go with 15" rims, tyres are cheaper and it gives a slightly better gear ratio for track work - i've never topped out in 5th on any UK track including Thruxton and Silverstone.

15" rims suitable for any particular model Renault? - no issues with different offsets? - I'll take your advice on this as I wont be going to the 'ring with the T so topping out will not be an issue I'm sure. Also the tyres are JUST for trackwork so I don't really want to compromise grip (but as I said before, it would be nice if they lasted a few sessions).

many thanks

J

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
my mistake - yes mine are t1R's ....

eljeffo - try and get near to ET43 on the offset, anything 40-45 is fine.

Reaction score
Thanks Cue,
I've seen some new 15's with et 45 so if I can't find any 2nd hand ones I might buy new (waste really just for the track); also I was speaking with someone here (in France) who said the preferred sizes for tyres was 195/50/15 front and 225/50/15 rear! Can't see the advantage with this setup really; sure - more rubber on the rear but you don't get the option of changing front with back when they wear down a bit, and is the rear grip that much an issue with R888's anyway ....