Reaction score
How many people pay for it?

If not why not? Does your normal policy cover you? Are you so rich it doesn't matter?

I'm interested because I would never consider going out on the track with cover, but some people seem to be very blase. From various people I've heard it suggested that all you need to do is get the car towed out and dumped in a ditch somewhere and then call up your normal insurer!?!?!?

So what do you lovely people do?

Reaction score
I have always taken out trackday insurance in the past, however I think for the future I will not bother as I have never had or been close to having an incident on track.

Reaction score
I used to think that Oli. A couple of years later, 20-odd trackdays under my belt i had a slight moment, that ended up in a seven grand bill.

Yes. Ouch.

You never think its going to happen to you until it does.

chiefsilverback said:
From various people I've heard it suggested that all you need to do is get the car towed out and dumped in a ditch somewhere and then call up your normal insurer!?!?!?

Insurers arent stupid. Tyrewalls, armco etc make easily identifyable patterns on your bodywork. Most trackdays have official photographers, plus all the amateur ones, so if a sporty car gets heavily damaged in the vincinity on the same day i would be staggered if they did not check. Within hours of mine there were threads and two photos on various car forums. Bear in mind that if caught, you will have a criminal conviction for fraud, and if you manage to escape jail good luck in ever getting a mortgage, credit card etc again. IMHO it aint worth it.

My take is - unless its something like a caterham where panels can be hammered back & the whole chassis replaced for peanuts, or a cheap shed of a pug 205 that you can happily throw away, get insurance. 99% of normal policies will not include track cover.
Unless of course you are minted and can afford to throw away 12 grand - i certainly cant.

Reaction score
Insurance is a must.but it does help to have a best mate as a bodyshop manager.

( Posted from a mobile device )

Reaction score
stu_allen said:
I used to think that Oli. A couple of years later, 20-odd trackdays under my belt i had a slight moment, that ended up in a seven grand bill.

Yes. Ouch.

You never think its going to happen to you until it does.

:shock: Harsh mate. A bill like that would cripple me right now, I guess I should be sensible and take out insurance in the future then. What did you do to your car to cause £7k worth of damage?

Reaction score
:shock: I'll say it again, harsh mate! Did you have a passenger in the car at the time?

Reaction score
never bothered, never will

we do on average between 40 to 50 days per year, we had 1 big off last year resulting in a £5K bill, but if your paying £100 per time on 50 track days then the costs involved in my opinion don't really make ot worth it

Reaction score
we plural

we are like the borg (characters from one of those crap space tv shows only weirdos watch ;))

we are as one

Reaction score
Fred said:
we plural

we are like the borg (characters from one of those crap space tv shows only weirdos watch ;))

we are as one

"we" my arse...

"you" with a tiny bit of help from me, yes lol

/y0z

Reaction score
What sort of excesses does anyone have - often this is what makes track insurance unattractive.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thats exactly what i've found. OK some money back if you total your car is better than nothing, but most have a large excess into the thousands, and a maximum payout limit too.

Still i'm sure i'll end up regretting not having it one day, but up to now i've never taken insurance.

Reaction score
OK

normally works on the following basis:

Value of car - be realistic.

I would say a trophy is worth £10,000 now

Excess would be £1000

Premium £100

/y0z

Reaction score
i've always taken it out. but then i'm a born worrier, and as my car is my only way of getting around, i'd rather pay the £800 excess to get it back to being right again than forking out thousands (which i dont have) on a new car!

thats my logic anyway. it might seem like a waste, but i know i won't regret it, if the day ever comes should i need it! :)
Em

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Very true Em, I'd be stuffed if I did seriously damage the car. I guess i'm a born risk taker (aka fool) :lol:

To be honest the consequences of having an incident at the nurburgring is the thing that i've had most concern about. Now that could be really expensive.

Reaction score
ahh but risk takers have more fun nik!! :wink:

i just wish the track insurance covered my exhaust lol :(

Reaction score
Nik said:
To be honest the consequences of having an incident at the nurburgring is the thing that i've had most concern about. Now that could be really expensive.

I've heard that you have to pay for any damage to the track (armco, clean up operations), the recovery vehicle, and for any lost revenue that would have been taken whilst the track is closed...that could end up being really expensive, and it would not be covered by trackday insurance as that only covers your car!