Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
as the sun is out I thought i'd stick the R888's on this afternoon. Fitted the Alpine horn also (massive improvement).

All I can say is i'm shocked at the difference to PE2's.... from cold they are like driving on ice.... turn in is more direct (not sure if the 15" wheels have caused this or the increase in sidewall height), runnning 55's not 45's. But when warm the car feels as though it's stuck to the road.... braking is improved also - stops on a 10p, even on standard brakes....

And you loose the stealth feeling you normally have.... everyone was looking at the car, one guy in a 172 cup ( i think) nearly crashed 'cause he was looking at the car.... That could be the white wheels, may need to refurb them in grey...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i can't wait for Oulton Park, these should be a hoot on track..... :)

I completely forgot to take any pics - the horm was easyier than i expected. The wheels will be going back on for at the end of the month so i'll take some pics and post up then.

Reaction score
Cue, can you pm me with the details etc as i am quite interested in this!

Cheers

Reaction score
well, if you are prepared to buy new wheels as I did (17 inch turinos) you can fit 205/40 x 17 R888's and they are awesome on track

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
17's weigh more, slow the geering down and tyres cost more. That's the results of my research anyway. Hence why i went for 15's, the contact patch is virtually the same with the road (width matters more) but the wheel is lighter and the tyres are lighter (plus a whole lot cheaper)

Reaction score
It depends which 17's you buy - there are quite a few sets out there that are lighter than Turinis. The 17" Turini's use a 'flowforming' process (only available in 17" & 18") which means they are stronger and lighter than the normal wheels - therefore the 17" Turini could actually be the same weight or lighter than the 16". I cant really remember! Even if it was heavier i reckon it would only be marginally so.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i run 15" magnesiums on track - about as light and strong as you can get under current legislation.

Reaction score
the 17s with 888s weigh about 1.6kgs more than the 15s but crucially the 17s have 40 section tyres and consequently a much stiffer sidewall which is essential for track work in a trophy. having tested the accuracy of the speedo with GPS to check the gearing I was surprised to see that at an indicated 70 the GPS showed 69.7mph

the wear rate on the 888s is quite poor on track, I reckon I will be lucky to see 2000 miles

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
there's probably only two days wear on them now anyway, i'm limiting it by changing the wheels when i get there - road use seems to wear them even quicker.