rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have noticed recently that in the wet the brakes seem to ''fade'' quite easily. I know that the brakes on the Trophy are not the best in the world but these are not good. It happened today at a roundabout, and it was dry, I hit the brakes, got a little bite then nothing.

My discs were new about 3000 miles ago (standard, replaced under warrenty), is it worth changing them as well as the pads or would a pad replacement do just fine??

The car is really only used for fast road driving so no fancy track day set up needed.

Cheers

Brian

amm

Reaction score
rojer386 said:
I have noticed recently that in the wet the brakes seem to ''fade'' quite easily. I know that the brakes on the Trophy are not the best in the world but these are not good. It happened today at a roundabout, and it was dry, I hit the brakes, got a little bite then nothing.

My discs were new about 3000 miles ago (standard, replaced under warranty), is it worth changing them as well as the pads or would a pad replacement do just fine??

The car is really only used for fast road driving so no fancy track day set up needed.

Cheers

Brian

i would try ebc green stuff or ebc red stuff if your not going to take it on track also braided hoses are a good way to make standard brakes just that bit better if you are thinking of doing the odd track day i would try ferodo ds2500 pads there OK but i am not all that impressed with them as they have worn down quite fast and have a bit off a nose to them as well next time i will be trying friction 97 , mintex 1177 or paged blue pads .

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
sounds strange - what milage are you on?

the oem disks are ok, the pads i'd look at and as amm said - braided hoses would improve pedal feel.

al

Reaction score
Get some EBC greenstuff mate, they are absolutely shit hot!!

Although they do sqeel when they get hot as I found out last night :oops: lol

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cue said:
sounds strange - what milage are you on?

12500!!

Will prob leave the discs as they have only covered about 3000miles, change the pads and get some hoses!

Reaction score
Discs should be fine, best to just get some new pads and maybe hoses if you are prepared to change the fluid at the same time. I think pad choice for me will all come down to personal preference on which brand I prefer, as long as there are no horror stories about them on the forum.

Reaction score
Not been too impressed with greenstuff pads in the past. Haven't tried any on the trophy though, so I shouldn't really comment I guess!

I bought some yellowstuff pads and kept the original discs just as a cheap upgrade for the time being. I wouldn't suggest them though as they don't work well without heat! Fine in town, then there's that scary feeling when you first really need them and it feels like there's nothing there :? My fault really, they are meant for the track! Maybe redstuff would be the better choice?

I think most people use Ferodo's but I don't know if they are the best choice for road use? I guess something has to wear faster to get better stopping power. The other pads mentioned are a bit hardcore for the road I think (mintex etc).

Reaction score
rojer386 said:
It happened today at a roundabout, and it was dry, I hit the brakes, got a little bite then nothing.

My discs were new about 3000 miles ago (standard, replaced under warrenty), is it worth changing them as well as the pads or would a pad replacement do just fine??

When you got new discs, did you get new pads?

If you've only been using the car for short journeys and not really using the brakes hard then they can get glazed over and become less effective, so take it onto a dual carriageway and give the brakes two or three really hard stops from 80 down to 20 or so. And I mean hard - as hard as you dare!

I find with mine (completely standard) that the pads are not so effective when stone cold, which is normally a problem only associated with upgraded track / race spec pads. Once I've got a little heat into them then they're fine. I haven't had the car long enough to find out whether they fade in fast road use.

Problems with fade are often down to driving style though, you'll find people with identical spec cars on trackdays are often in 2 camps:

1) those who brake at a medium pressure for a long distance up to a corner and get the brakes hot and complain of fade (and often aren't that quick)

2) those who brake harder, later, but crucially are on the brakes for a shorter period, giving the brakes longer to recover between stops... these people are generally quicker and don't have problems with fade.

Reaction score
PF97s if you want the best, no compromise, set-up. Pain to clean your wheels but will make you smile everytime you out-brake the car next to you into a corner.

O.