Reaction score
:shock: :shock: left a roundabout at full gas in second going up a small twisting hill road in my town when i went to let off approaching a bend the throttle stayed stuck to the floor as i pushed the clutch the car was revving to the limiter like a mother fucker had to quickly turn the engine off ,,,,,, !!!!!!

jeez if that had been my mrs driving im not sure wether she would have reacted as i had done , well shady there was no obstructions ie floor mat to make the pedal jam fully open, it was more like the cable or the throttle flap had jammed ,will need to investigate in the morning ,,,,,,,,

has this happened to any1 else ????

nealry lost it going into the bend after hittinh the clutch :shock:

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
:shock:

Jesus, that sounds worrying. No throttle cable to get stuck but could be the motor that operates the throttle butterfly.

Definitely get that looked at before driving much further!

I know a few 172 owners had the throttle body replaced but the symptom was usually the car not starting.

Maybe a stupid question but you hadn't got the cruise switch on had you? I've had it left on before and then accidentally hit the recall (R) button when turning the wheel! :?

Reaction score
That sounds pretty scary!

Do you have floor matts? Any possibiilty the mat was wedged over the accelerator pedal?

O.

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but you hadn't got the cruise switch on had you? I've had it left on before and then accidentally hit the recall (R) button when turning the wheel!
-----
defo not

----
Do you have floor matts? Any possibiilty the mat was wedged over the accelerator pedal?
-----

that was the first thing i checked ,before i turned the engine off i tried to raise the pedal with my foot but it was firmlly stuck to the floor :shock:

after i turned the engine off and pushed the pedal hard at the floor it came back up ,very worring ,... just going out the now to have a look
ive tried to get it to do it again but its not happening all the time ..
what do u guys think i should do ??????

Reaction score
You have got to get it to a dealer asap. This sounds like a very worrying problem :shock:

Can't advise of anything to check, as Nik says there is no cable to get stuck...best get it checked out by a technician.

Reaction score
yeah just spoke with 1 of my m8's and hes explained its a flyby setup for the throttle and he recons the motor must have a fault :shock:

thats the first time ive even lifted the bonnet and noticed there was no cable :oops:

dam scary and yes its a major fault and could have potential to cause a serious accident ,it just doesnt bear thinking about this happening if the mrs was driving :shock: :shock:

will book it in on monday morning

Reaction score
contacted my local dealers today and explained what had happened and was told that there is nothing they can do , ive tried to get it to do it again but it wont ,its got me baffled ,they said they would have a look but there was nowt they can do if its not doing it when they check ....

think ill just hope it doesnt do it again , :?

dont fancy letting sum muppet thrash my car to checkif the throttle will jam or not ....

could this problem be ecu related ???

Reaction score
If your unhappy how Renault are dealing with the issue, my advise is to take it to an independent comapny and get them to provide full documentation of any faults how ever small they may be. Then you can present these to your dealership with a letter stating that you want the faults fixed, at no cost, and any cost incurred by you will be rectified.

I had to do this with my Trophy with regards to the paint and the scuffed alloy as they said there was nothing I could do. Amazing what a nasty letter and an independent report can do.

If i were you i would get this done ASAP as i for one wouldnt be happy driving a car with a mind of its own.

Reaction score
had my Trophy in at the main dealers on sat morning , and the ecu had logged no errors rgds the throttle jamming , its never done it again and ive been trying to make it ,must have been a freak thing ....

after telling the dealer i no longer wanted the oil changed cause his price was to expensive ,he done it using the elf 5w-40 new filter and washer for £70 which i thought was very reasonable considering the oil is £45 on its own . saved me getting my hands dirty :)

after the car was finished i had a word with the tech that was there rgds the exhaust haze , he told me it was a characteristic of the 182 engine , when i told him my 172 didnt do this he told me it was a different engine :?: i always thought it was just the management that had changed :?:
i said to him that u would think that it should be able to rev to 5k without any probs as the engine is desighned tfor those sort of revs , well no he said its not desighned to be revved to 5k , i couldnt beleive he said this its a reno sport that been developed with track days in mind and its not meant to rev to 5 k dont talk rubbish i said , we ended up having a great debate about this and i had to be pulled away my my misses , what a nob of a tech this guy was , he was only mid 30's aswell ...

hyb

Reaction score
I've probably never met a techy at a dealership that actually knows what he's on about. Servicing and parts is all I use them for, advice i'd go elsewhere

Reaction score
PMSL Laughing not supposed to be reved over 5k.

So hang on then Renault put the VVT in for no reason what so ever. Great business sense if your not supposed to rev over/into the VVT set up.

You have to love Renault Monkeys (Whoops that was ment to be Techi's).

I was told that my Clio 1.4 had the wrong badges on the side of the car (it had 1.4 16v on them) I was then told that my car was a 1.2 16v. (Even though the engines look totally different) PMSL.

Reaction score
My throttle jammed yesterday. I was pottling along in traffic and in moment of boredom I disengaged the clutch and blipped the throttle, I blipped it harder than I'd intended, and the throttle stayed open and I had to jab it a couple of times to release it!?!?!

Apparently there's a switch at the bottom end of the throttle travel for the cruise control, could it be linked to this!?!?!

Reaction score
Recall

This is very worrying and potentially lethal. This could be 'recall' material.
A batch of 500 and at least two have experienced the throttle sticking open? I wonder how many others that we DON'T know about have experienced this . I dont wanna be a scare-monger but any one of us could be next.

I think anyone experiencing this first hand should report it direct to the factory as well as the dealer. Dealers are not reliable as we know. Hopefully the factory would respond responsibly and with a bit more initiative. Good luck guys - please keep us posted!

Reaction score
Have you contacted Renault UK or Customer Services. It's a potentially lethal problem, and more likely for a pedestrian! Would be interested to know the outcome as I sell many 182s and more recently half a dozen Trophys (sp) I would have thought a letter to Renault UK forewarning of such a problem would get the product liability boys pulses racing.

Reaction score
I agree!

I agree! I believe strongly that Renault should be made aware of serious things like this. If there is a problem we ALL need to know and get it fixed. I'm sure Renault would welcome the feedback too - like any business, I'm sure they dont want any serious accidents laid at their door.

I would like to go even further. This forum is probably the best source of information about living with Trophies that exists. Maybe it would be a good idea for 'the management' here to try and find a direct link to someone in Renault who would be interested in this kind of feedback. I dont mean so we can have a go at them, merely that If there are genuine concerns like sticking throttles, clunking suspension and hyperactive alarms, we might get to know what is really 'normal' and what needs rectifying. Sorry to add to your burden, but wodya think Mr Administrator?

Reaction score
The sentiment expressed is absolutely correct. However, draw too much attention to yourself and you'll probably have their legal department after you for 'domain name hijacking and brand dilution'. I kid you not, if VW, BMW and Porsche are anything to go by. Maybe Renault take a differing view as there are already other well subscribed forums and entente cordiale!
By the way, in last weekend's Telegraph or Times there was an article about a guy whose throttle pedal jammed on his '96 BMW 318i and once the brakes had failed had the car up to circa 130mph. Quite how he survived the accident he had at a roundabout I have no idea, but the Police admitted they couldn't catch him!