The dreaded heater panel problem.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
There's been a few mentions lately about the issue of the flaking heater/ac control panel on the dashboard. It's something I've scratched my head about before, the one in No. 407 was replaced I think by 2nd owner Ant in around 2016/17, yet it's now showing the beginnings of the dreaded flaking issue, despite minimal use. I think the original item from Renault just has a certain lifespan before the finish starts to degrade. With them now being (like a lot of things for these cars) no longer available new, it falls to the chance of being able to pick one up on ebay or through the forums. I was lucky and sourced a decent one, but my fear is that in time the supply of good ones may well dry up completely.

With this in mind, I've thought about ways to restore them, as there are no doubt plenty of flaky ones which could be resurrected. I've approached a company to discuss the creation of a new decal to the correct design which would replace the original coating, and hopefully even last a bit longer. It would also put to use all the flaked ones knocking about, which makes more sense to me than them simply going to the tip.

If I get anywhere, I'll keep you all posted.

Reaction score
Great idea Ed!! Any idea when you might have an update? Mine has also just started to flake

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Great idea Ed!! Any idea when you might have an update? Mine has also just started to flake

No idea on timescales at this stage, I've only just made the initial enquiries. So, we'll see what happens, not sure on design and initial set up costs either, but will update on here as soon as I know more. :) (y)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Interesting. So what do you think it actually is? I guess I always thought it was painted but never gave it much time.
As discussed at £70 for a good one, you would think costs should be covered.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Interesting. So what do you think it actually is? I guess I always thought it was painted but never gave it much time.
As discussed at £70 for a good one, you would think costs should be covered.
I'm not sure how it's been done originally, and my spare is in a box in storage, as is the car, so can't inspect closely at this point, but I'm thinking some sort of decal with some flexibility to it, to go over the contours of the panel and not distort the design round the dials should theoretically be possible, it's just a case of nailing the correct colours, opacity and texture.

Hopefully the company I've contacted can advise. Fingers crossed, as it would be great to work out a solution for this part.

It does set me thinking, what else might be handy to look at being re-manufactured? Obviously Sachs, but that road has been driven down before with Sachs themselves I believe, to no avail. So that's a non-starter.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The correct Renault badge 😁

Just to clarify here and I am quite happy to accept the charge of nitpicking, but the version recommended as a replacement is okay but it IS different. The two moulded lugs on the back for a start, you have to cut these off. The font is very slightly different and on the original there is a raised underline along the bottom.

I know it shouldn’t but these things bother me 🤯

Attachments

• IMG_0297.jpeg
    IMG_0297.jpeg
    915 KB · Views: 16

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Looks like I got lucky in buying the correct original then - I think 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_2527.jpeg
    IMG_2527.jpeg
    756.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2511.jpeg
    IMG_2511.jpeg
    833.4 KB · Views: 15

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just to clarify here and I am quite happy to accept the charge of nitpicking, but the version recommended as a replacement is okay but it IS different. The two moulded lugs on the back for a start, you have to cut these off. The font is very slightly different and on the original there is a raised underline along the bottom.

I know it shouldn’t but these things bother me 🤯
It's like @hoolio's Sunday spot the difference competition.. :LOL:

Is this part number: 7700817027 ?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
IMG_0763.jpeg
Looks like I got lucky in buying the correct original then - I think 🤔

Umm, not sure. Looks like the replacement.
It's like @hoolio's Sunday spot the difference competition.. :LOL:

Is this part number: 7700817027 ?

It‘s a bit pathetic really isn’t it…..
Yes that is the number of the replacement. So that is the version at the bottom of my original pic. The original taken off my car is the top one, it has a section like above. It has a bump at the bottom which is the raised line along the bottom.
Mine is in good nic but if you look closely it has a crack between the n and a. Also the moulding seems crisper. (Jesus, what am I like)

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
It‘s a bit pathetic really isn’t it…..
Oh I'm not sure, I'm quite enjoying this level of minute detail. It reminds me of some of the realms I'm known to go into myself when inspecting/restoring classic Mini's.

If one wants a Trophy to be exact in every way, this is the sort of thing that's kind of important. I'm afraid I'm a little more relaxed when it comes to my Trophy, it's probably never going to be concours and have to confess it runs the completely wrong rear Renault and Sport badges, them both being the later iteration. To be honest it doesn't bother me too much as I actually prefer the smaller fonts used and it's another layer of history to the car as the originals were stolen off the car when it lived in Glasgow with it's first owner and it still has the screwdriver marks to prove it! As I said, concours it's not... :LOL:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Oh yeah, mine is far from perfect and has plenty of “optional” stuff on it. It’s just things like the above, the washer blanks, exhaust surrounds etc etc. If the car doesn’t have these or has poor copies fitted it just looks wrong.
And btw the way, the guys on the oe Renault 5 GTT FB page are all total rivet counters, much worse, me supercharged.

Last edited:

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
@hoolio Just out of interest, is there a part number on the back of your original badge?

Ahh, yes, I can imagine the level of rivet counting, it's when there's a thread running to a number of pages where things are getting slightly heated about the actual shape / type of the rivet when it becomes really 'interesting'. :LOL:

Reaction score
Trophy No.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just to update on my heater panel idea, the company I've approached say it's not something they could create, but have given me an insight into how the panel graphic was produced originally, so, I'm going to make some further enquiries elsewhere...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I do vinyl and laser engraving things like that , would it be possible to put vinyl over the non painted parts and then spray the whole thing grey then remove they vinyl?

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I do vinyl and laser engraving things like that , would it be possible to put vinyl over the non painted parts and then spray the whole thing grey then remove they vinyl?
The consensus seems to be the original panel has been through a screen or litho printing process. I think it's going to be something quite difficult to 'remanufacture' in such small quantities.. But will see where my enquiries take us.