Reaction score
I think i'm slighty confused by this aux belt service interval.. The service book states 36k or 5 years, correct? And the cam belt 72k or 5 years, correct? My service history is stamped to show the aux belt has been changed at 36k which was july 07, which is correct, but for some reason they have written in the next box it is due at 72k (correct) or July 09, only 2 years after it was done.. I assume this is a mistake, or do they mean it should be done again at 5 years when the cambelt is due (which would be 2010 anyway...)?

Think i've kinda answered my own question...

Don't want to accidentlly go over the the interval and have one break!

Reaction score
All your statements are correct! Aux belt due at 36k or 5 years (although there is some argument that this service is due every 3 years...), cambelt due at 72k or 5 years. If your aux belt was changed at 36k in July 2007, it won't be due for a change again until 72k or July 2010.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Is it true that if the Aux belt goes the world will come to an end ?

i.e Engine go BOOM !

Reaction score
BenG said:

i.e Engine go BOOM !

As I understand it, there's a chance that if the aux belt goes, it can get tangled up in the cam belt and thus, as you say, engine goes boom...!!

In reply to Hoolio's point on changing the cam belt prior to 5 yrs/72k - personally I wouldn't bother - I have spoken to a couple of people from mechanical/engineering backgrounds and the general concensus was that it's highly unlikely to fail - you would have to be extremely unlucky to experience such a failure.. This is only my opinion though - not to be taken as gospel!

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
BenG said:

i.e Engine go BOOM !

As I understand it, there's a chance that if the aux belt goes, it can get tangled up in the cam belt and thus, as you say, engine goes boom...!!

In reply to Hoolio's point on changing the cam belt prior to 5 yrs/72k - personally I wouldn't bother - I have spoken to a couple of people from mechanical/engineering backgrounds and the general concensus was that it's highly unlikely to fail - you would have to be extremely unlucky to experience such a failure.. This is only my opinion though - not to be taken as gospel!

Hope your right, sorry lucky.
As many have failed & seen horendous damage as a result.
If the aux snaps you will be lucky not to have the cambelt shredded also.
Was several threads on RS where they had, had this happen some were low miles.
I understood Renault techs say 3yrs 36K.
Not worth talking the chance IMHO.
Also beware of cheap quotes as Renault have two brands of kit [-X

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
My Aux belt is being done on Friday along with the 36K service, im on 34K now. I was debating whether or not to get both Aux and Cam belts done at the same time as next year the cam belt will be 5 years old and will need replacing. I just decided to get the Aux belt done this time and will get both done at 48K which will be in approx 18 months.

Reaction score
g40steve said:
..As many have failed & seen horendous damage as a result..

Are you referring to the aux or cambelt Steve? - Had my aux done by Ben @ AWT when I had the 3yr/36k service done some months back (car on approx. 28k at that time). My point was squarely aimed at very early changing of the cambelt, not the aux..

Reaction score
Personally I don't think there is a need to get the cambelt changed before 72k/5 years, I've never heard of a 182 cambelt failing on it's own, only when the aux belt has failed and got intimate with the cambelt.

The big decision is for those who cover less than average miles and concerns the aux belt. Do you follow the book and change the aux belt at 36k/5 years, or because of it's history for failing do you change it earlier, say at 3 years regardless of mileage. For people like me who cover between 10-12k miles a year the aux belt service was done on reaching 36k, which was around 3 years so the decision was taken out of my hands...but I don't think I'd be happy leaving the aux belt change until 5 years had passed if I was a low mileage owner...

Anyways, my Trophy is back from Rentech with the oil leak fixed and new cambelt and aux belt kits. More top-notch service, always happy to answer my questions and give advice...and much cheaper than your local Renault service centre. If you live in the south, then this is the place to take your beloved motor!