Reaction score
After the credit crunch slump its nice to see a good selection of Trophy's back up at the £8k mark.

I'm just waiting for the 197 values to drop below! To put a smile on my face. :D

This is from a man who had an E30 M3 when it was worth less than an E36 & E46 M3. Maybe I should have kept that one?

How the world turns.

Reaction score
Broad as long really if you always buy 2nd hand cars.

I paid £9k for my mint 225 F1 but 6 months later they were going for £10-£11k and I got paid out £10650 but it cost me a grand more for my trophy than it would have at the same time as when I bought the F1,

Reaction score
8 grand is still amazing value for the car that you get. Probably the best value hot hatch/drivers car under 10 k.

Reaction score
PB.283 said:
Broad as long really if you always buy 2nd hand cars.

I paid £9k for my mint 225 F1 but 6 months later they were going for £10-£11k and I got paid out £10650 but it cost me a grand more for my trophy than it would have at the same time as when I bought the F1,

Fair point, as my Focus' list price went up twice in the same period as my Clio appreciated.

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's not just Trophies though, it's all 2nd hand cars that have gone up; and if you're looking to buy a newer, 2nd-hand, car with more prestige you'll end up paying more than you would've during the slump because they seem to have gone up by the same percentage.

Certain models of car seem to have depreciated so little after 12 months that I'd rather pay slightly more and buy new.

Bargains are cropping up here and there though.

Hoz.

Reaction score
At the risk of being contraversial...

I think 8k is a lot for a 4 year clio, yes it IS an amazing car, and limited edition, and has trick dampers, and Recaro seats. But it is still a clio with the same basic engine as the regular 182 and 172. I was lucky and got mine for what i think was a real bargain. At the end of the day, a car is worth what someone will pay for it.. Just my thoughts! :)

Reaction score
I bought mine for £6700 with only 17k on the clock...been very tempted to sell to make a cheeky £1000-1500...but then I think to myself...what the hell else would I buy for the same price thats any better?

Reaction score
1. I think the rave reviews it's still getting like in EVO helps too.

2. People who could never afford one when they came out (me, I was only 22 and insurance was a killer) are thinking about it again.

3. Some people have come back from 197's as it's more an involving drive imo

4. Limited run

5. They are immense :D

all helps to the value

Reaction score
Come on guys does it really matter?

A Trophy is hardly an investement as it is a Renault but as I enjoy driving mine so much I really don't care how much it is worth.

I believe it boils down to SPM Smiles Per Mile and the Trophy out of the box gives that and then some plus it has low running costs.

So therefore for me it one of the best cars I've ever owned.

:D

Max

Reaction score
Hiya Robbo :D I work in Keighley and live down the road in Crosshills, will keep an eye out for you.

Back on topic, I think the Trophy residuals have kept up amazingly well. Like many owners I've thought about changing
many, many, times but have resisted the urge so far. I'm sure the strong prices are mainly due to the continued good press.

I'll keep my T as a second or third car for as long as I can afford to, as I'm sure I would kick myself in a few years if I sold it. I always look at old mint 5 Turbos, 205 GTIs, Clio Williams etc with great fondness and I'm sure the T will enjoy semi-iconic status like those hatches do in a few years time.

Apologies for rambling.

Reaction score
Dragging the topic back up from the dead!

But I seem to have noticed Trophy values recently dropping quite fast....

Or is this just me being paranoid?

Reaction score
just my 2 pennies worth but I think at an average of £7500 for ones which haven't had there belts or shocks done is very strong money.. so I personally wouldn't panic.

Reaction score
josh 182 said:
just my 2 pennies worth but I think at an average of £7500 for ones which haven't had there belts or shocks done is very strong money.. so I personally wouldn't panic.

This is the thing...I haven't seen any go recently for around that price. Even with low mileage.

They all seem to be up around the low 6's...with the odd one up at 7 with low mileage.

I'm only saying this because even though I love the car to bits...I don't want it to get to a stage (say a year)...when I begin to lose more and more money on it than previously...(maybe due to these new clios)

Reaction score
Cars are not investments unfortunately (bar some small exceptions). I suppose everyone has got to be prepared to lose a lot of the value of the car. If you can't afford to lose the equity in your car then i don't think you should buy that car. I am not saying every car you buy you have to write off the value of, just you should always know that it the time you have it you are prepared to lose a worst case chunk of that money. Anyways you think we have it bad with a couple of thousand lost think of people who brought brand new e90 M3s 2 years back..some have lost 20k in value since new!

All relative i suppose

Ed

Reaction score
I think I may have put my point across the wrong way...

Obviously I know cars depriciate...but I was just asking as to whether or not anybody knew why recently the values of them seem to be dropping at a faster rate. Like anything inparticular etc...

Reaction score
ahh yea i get cha!

Could be any number of reasons, suppose it boils down to supply and demand.

If you are that good at predicting market forces you will be a very rich person. I suppose the other point i was trying to make was don't let it get you down..everyone is in the same boat its how it works.