Reaction score
Sorry, probably been asked before but what are the advantages of doing this and how is it done please?

Reaction score
Pin removal makes the front suspension adjustable.

Once suspension is adjustable, you can make the front of the car stiffer or softer - in this weather probably want softer, but during the summer... you may want to try it being stiffer :p . I will presume you already know the pros and cons of stiffer / softer suspension

Once removed, you have a 40 click range for the front stiffness, and I believe it is initially set at ~20 clicks so bang in the middle.

To find the thread on how to remove, somebody posted it under the name of "My morning with 3 donkeys" or something like that - do a search and I am sure you will find it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
There are a couple of shops that will do this for you, if you do it youself be very careful several have been accidentally buggered.

Reaction score
The official works setting is 22 clicks from soft. The warnings are for real - probably best otoremove the damper from the car first.

The 22 setting is a good compromise for road and works well in the wet - stiffer would help on smooth high speed applications.

Reaction score
hmm sounds like too much hassle, might just leave it....would of thought it would be easier.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Though i've not done it myself, it is a very straightforward job, BUT the pins on some of the dampers have been glued in place and have to be forced, not recommended unless you know what you're doing.
All in all unless you are doing track work as George says the factory setting is perfect for day to day.

Reaction score
just wondering if a Renault dealership would do this or not?

amm

Reaction score
please don't remove the pins if you are not 100% shore as some people have snapped the adjusters off .

if you want them removed and you don't feel confident doing it your self there is a bloke in Stafford that can do them for you

Reaction score
Has anyone actually had Donkey send them off for a rebuild yet? A few threads end of 06, start of '07 on the service he'd provide, but haven't heard much since then.

Reaction score
amm said:
please don't remove the pins if you are not 100% shore as some people have snapped the adjusters off .

if you want them removed and you don't feel confident doing it your self there is a bloke in Stafford that can do them for you

sure, but Stafford is a bit far for me

Reaction score
The difficult bit is if the grub screw has been glued in to the adjuster knob, making it impossible to remove the knob from the damper and therefore not allowing access to remove the locking pin.

I have seen some different knobs and I would assume (due to the massive variation in the locking pin position within the knob) that the dampers were delivered to Renault as adjustable and then drilled (probably by hand, no rigs) to lock them. My original knobs were ideal but one was glued and I couldn't get access to the screw.........under the knob is a series of indentations and some ball bearings on top of small springs to provide the 'clicks'. I was kindly donated a spare knob (thank you very much - you know who you are!) and the pin drilling was virtually at the same radius as the indentations which was not ideal.

So in short be careful it's a can of worms!

Reaction score
ahh ok, do you know why Renault glued them?

Perhaps to keep the perfect setup?

Reaction score
According to some other threads, people found the dampers pins secured at different settings for each damper. IIRC some had their left damper at 20 and right one at 24... so ya Reno perfect anyways :lol: :wink:

Reaction score
Stevo said:
ahh ok, do you know why Renault glued them?

Perhaps to keep the perfect setup?

Sensible answer - to stop people adjusting them and catching themselves out

Sarcastic answer - to annoy technically experienced car enthusiasts by wasting a perfectly good set of adjustable dampers! :lol: