Reaction score
Obeying the sticker on my filler cap saying "Super Unleaded Recommanded (sic)", I only use super, which can take some finding out here. As hyb will attest, most filling stations round here only sell hay :roll: .

What's everyone else's policy on fuel type? Super only? Super sometimes? 95 octane?

hyb

Reaction score
oooaarr :)

I try to fill up with 97 or better. It does really depend on where you are at the time. I do fill up with 95 now and again, I wouldn't say it does the car any damage, but it does feel different to drive. Much less responsive and not as eager to rev.

I usually go to either tesco or BP in Yeovil for mine.

Reaction score
The one in Sherborne has it (very pricy), it has some really wierd grade selections on the pumps. One has Super and Diesel, while the one next door has unleaded twice :?:

Incidentally, were you at Morrisons (Wincanton) yesterday? Mrs-theboy saw one. Otherwise there's another about... :shock:

hyb

Reaction score
Nope wasn't me, must be another. Was it you I saw a few weeks back on the dual carriagway? i beeped

Reaction score
I'm another Optimax only owner, but there are loads of Shell stations nearby to me, so it's easy for me to do this.

Whilst on the subject of fuel, anyone else heard about this new 'revolutionary' 102 Octane fuel BP are doing - http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=13729

Very limited supply, in the South East only, and way to rich for me at £2.42 a litre! :shock:

Reaction score
Only one tiny top up with 95 for me. 97 or 98 the rest of the time. By the way, I'd avoid Morrisons petrol, you might as well put coal and chip fat in the tank. If you want supermarket prices stick to Sainsburys and Tesco (ie "top name" petrol rebadged))

Reaction score
hyb said:
Nope was deffo a bloke driving, he went past me later on and gave me the thumbs up
Oh God they're everywhere!

Re: Morrisons, I wouldn't let my other half ANYWHERE NEAR a supermarket in my lovely new car!

I only let her drive it the other week so she could take it to the garage for me :twisted:

Reaction score
I have only every put 98 in my car. The peace of mind is worh the extra few pence by itself :)

O.

Reaction score
A customer of mine phoned Renault customer services. They say, I quote "It's Ok to put regular unleaded in that" That'll account for the pinking on some of the cars that come and go then.

Article in Sunday Times today (may be online somewhere) about BP super-fuel £11 a gallon. Of course the way it's going it's only a matter of time....

Reaction score
trust me guys. if you can afford to fill up with optimax every time or atleast once a month do a full tank. the cleaning quality is excellent. super unleaded will make your car run smoother and i would consider an earthing kit.....it dose work

Reaction score
If you can you should stick to Optimax, it's the only 98 RON out there. Tesco 99 is good for performance (better than Optimax) but is essentially 95 RON with bio-ethanol added to boost the Octane rating. It won't clean the fuel system. BP's Ultimate came out top overall in a recent independent fuel survey (EVO magazine) and performs better than Optimax even though it's 97 RON, but again it's not as good as Optimax for cleaning the engine.

My advice - stick to BP Ultimate or Shell Optimax with the occasional tank of Tesco 99 for trial purposes, but only use a small amount of 95 RON in emergencies, it really is crap and the engine's not designed for it. It's been proven again and again that the few pence you save on the price will be outweighed by the reduced mileage and it puts crap in your fuel system.

Reaction score
tesco's 99 will not be blended from 95 ron - it'll be based on 97 ron with the 5% bioethanol blended - 5% bioethanol will not give sufficent octane boost to get upto 99 ron, so will be based upon 97 as the base stock.

whilst it is also true tesco 99 will not have the same detergent level as optimax, nothing has...optimax has something like 4 times the detergent contents of other high grade fuels. interestingly, i know there has been some debate whether this exceptionally high detergent level is actually detrimental over the long term...although it's not something i've ever observed...

Si

Reaction score
OliS said:
I'm another Optimax only owner, but there are loads of Shell stations nearby to me, so it's easy for me to do this.

Whilst on the subject of fuel, anyone else heard about this new 'revolutionary' 102 Octane fuel BP are doing - http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=13729

Very limited supply, in the South East only, and way to rich for me at £2.42 a litre! :shock:

You'd have to be an absolute mug to buy some of that.

BP will laughing all the way to the bank.