BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Plenty stiff but no halm in fitting one I guess. I just dont like the idea of mounting them with self taping screws but the area where they are mounted to is inaccessible underneath to use nuts and bolts I think. At least not without removing the dampers and im still not sure whether it is accessable then ?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I fail to see how mounting it with selp taping screws will be as secure as i would like it. For the minimal difference the strut brace will make I would want it to be mounted as secure as possible as to maximise the benefits from it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Actually anyone fitting a strut brace with self tappers deserves a slap for willfully damaging a Trophy for absolutely no gain whatsoever.

Reaction score
I asked Mark Fish about this once, just out of curiosity. He laughed and said no, they are only really needed on shit old cars basically. Solid Top Mounts and Rose Joints, however, will make a world of difference :mrgreen:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
PeterGinger said:
Solid Top Mounts and Rose Joints, however, will make a world of difference :mrgreen:

Are you talking about the bearing he uses in his top mount?

Reaction score
Rose joints are a trade name for spherical bearings (known by the J's for some reason as pillow balls!). For road use they may have limited life as are not fully sealed - need PTFE coated type if possible.

Strut brace may help a bit at the front, but frankly with normal spring rates they are irrelevant, as per Mark Fish. Also as I have explained before the rear ones would not do anything because of the suspension design.

If you want to do anything to help the suspesnion the first job is to make sure that the geometry is correct and the dampers in A1 condition, after that the bushes would be next on the list, even down to the arb bushes, which get a much harder ilfe than one would ever anticipate - we used to replace them every race on a BMW prod saloon.-

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Actually anyone fitting a strut brace with self tappers deserves a slap

I can't believe anyone would sell a product that is designed to stiffen the chassis with self tappers to fix it down.... :shock: :oops: :eek:

Reaction score
well im glad i read this, the Guys at K-Tec were like yer, it will do the world of good crack on. i have to say im starting to loose faith in them.