Reaction score
Just a question? I am out and about today and i think i might have spied me a lesser spotted Stromba! I know his Mrs has a 172, anyone know what colour it is and if she has a personal number plate??? Just want to know if it could possible be him? No sign of the Williams though. Suprise surprise.

( Posted from a Nokia mobile phone )

hyb

Reaction score
he's quite easy to spot is the lesser spotted stromba, his head is the same size as the average microwave.

Plus you would have heard him shouting out the window how you don't need those dampers

Reaction score
Trophy No.
LOL ^^^^^^^

but its not any old microwave mind you, its fully restored and better than new. Its only 600w but still better than the latest 850w.

Reaction score
wigstar1 said:
Just a question? I am out and about today and i think i might have spied me a lesser spotted Stromba! I know his Mrs has a 172, anyone know what colour it is and if she has a personal number plate??? Just want to know if it could possible be him? No sign of the Williams though. Suprise surprise.

( Posted from a Nokia mobile phone )

My williams was there but was getting a make over from Ballcrusher. MY front wings and dash top ran a 15 second quater mile. :p

Reaction score
I knew it, i knew it, i knew it!

I saw the car, put two and two together and got me a little Stomba!

If only i had got the conformation earlier i would have come and said 'Hello'. Probably a bit sheepishly but i'd have still doen it none the less.

Who would believe it, out of all the Clio's there and i had to park next to Stromba's Mrs!

Reaction score
I thought the man himself might have a bit more to say on this matter! Im sure you managed to work out who i was! :)

Was a bit worried about leaving my car there just in case i came back to find my special Trophy Reservoiur dampers missing :?:

Reaction score
I did notice your camber was out :wink:

Im suprised you didnt go up the strip. I mean being the king of hatches id have thought youd have wanted to prove that the hype in the mags was translated into the real world.

As far as im concerned still no real world evidence that the mag hype is true. Some Trophy owners should get out there and show everyone what the fuss is about.

hyb

Reaction score
drag strips show nothing but how much power you have and how well it gets it down, that doesn't prove anything the trophy aims for

Reaction score
It shows up cars with bad traction. Hence the 182's get spanked by williams'. 182;'s have less ability to get good traction than a williams.

One of the rules of car design is that 'if you need traction control, your chassis is shit'.

A good car doesnt need traction control. Traction comes from a good chassis set up.

hyb

Reaction score
Ok, your car can get off the line quicker in a straight line. You win a gold star.
I thought your argument was how good a car is in 'real world' scenario's. I don't put santa pod down as a real world scenario.

Reaction score
We were talking about santa pod because thats where the trophy was parked up.

The car with the best traction is going to take chunks of time out of a car with less good traction on a track. Its not the be all and end all, but 60 ft times are a good indication of car set up and power delivery.

Reaction score
Ok Kids. Calm yoursleves down a bit. I leave you alone for a few hours. . . . .

This thread 'will not' be Hijacked! Ha,ha,ha

I know i may be asking the impossible here but this is where it stops :!:

Stromba,
I must say i was expecting you to look way more 'Computer Nerdy' than you did. You were even eating homemade Sandwiches which is not part of the Pot Noodle dietary requirements of a computer geek!

As for going up the Strip. . . I was much happier watchin other idiots lunch their gearboxes rather than get into all that. I was just there to have a good day, and it just so happens that my Trophy is my only form of Transport. And F**k walking! :wink:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
King Stromba said:
It shows up cars with bad traction. Hence the 182's get spanked by williams'. 182;'s have less ability to get good traction than a williams.

One of the rules of car design is that 'if you need traction control, your chassis is ****'.

A good car doesnt need traction control. Traction comes from a good chassis set up.

erm, correct me but this is not down to chassis but the weight of the car.......... 30bhp or so makes feck all difference compared to a couple of hundred kgs.

Reaction score
Oh please, don't start answering his old posts now. he's dead. Besides everyone knows the williams didn't have traction control because they didn't fit it to cheap shopping trolleys in the 90's and it's not powerful enough to need it anyway. :lol:

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Stromba actually made what I think is a fair (for him anyway) summary of the Trophy on his website in the thread about this months EVO article where his Williams (0002) was used in the test.

http://www.clio-williams.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... 8754#28754

Although i did laugh when I read:

"Overall the best way to sum it up from my point of view is that the trophy is a car for people who really want a willaims, but dont want an old car."

:lol:

Reaction score
Nik said:
Stromba actually made what I think is a fair (for him anyway) summary of the Trophy on his website in the thread about this months EVO article where his Williams (0002) was used in the test.

http://www.clio-williams.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... 8754#28754

Although i did laugh when I read:

"Overall the best way to sum it up from my point of view is that the trophy is a car for people who really want a willaims, but dont want an old car."

:lol:

If you exclude the actual driving and focus purely on ownership appeal and all round ownership experience, then the williams is unsurpassed. Its an icon that the trophy will never be.

You have to love him. He really does write with a tone of absolutism. I have to say, I agree with a lot of the points he makes. Although regarding the "the Trophy is a car for people who really want a Williams, but dont want an old car", I would think a more accurate description would be "The Trophy is for people who were interested in getting a Williams but then the Trophy came out and they saw that it lost nothing in driver appeal but gained more grip and power in a more modern, safer, better built and more exclusive package." :wink: