Reaction score
There seems to be a worryingly high number of Trophy's that have had their gearbox replaced. I know most people drive them enthusiastically but the number still 'appears' high considering the relatively low mileage and age of these cars.

Am interested to get an idea:

1. How many T's have had a new gearbox ?
2. What were the signs that it needed replacing ?
3. Was it replaced by Renault under warranty ?
4. Are you happy with the quality of the repair ?

Cheers
Mark

Reaction score
Trophy No.
This wasn't a problem that i was particularly aware of but i recall Mark Fish saying that the gearboxes are pretty good and when they go it's not the changing up that causes it but the strains imposed going down from high revs, basically he's know of a couple go on the track.
Hope that wasn't stating the blindingly obvious. :)

Reaction score
Mine went :( Had it replaced under warranty a few months ago. No signs of it going. Just stopped engaging into second one day. Renault said the syncs had gone.

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum but i work a renault service department and would like to add a few things if i may.

1. How many T's have had a new gearbox ?

we deal with roughly 15 182's a year and approx 7-8 197's a year.
under warranty the usual complaints are
poor selection of gears from cold
whining from gearbox under load(or if in wrong gear)

2. What were the signs that it needed replacing ?
we have replaced 1 gearbox in 2 years and that was on a 182.
however this was driven by a chap who does give it a hard time.a very very hard time.
this is not a problem as theres no point in having a performance car for sunday drivers.

3. Was it replaced by Renault under warranty ?
yes we did it under warranty as the diff had broken up,the oil was silver and there were planet gears on the sump magnet.renault paid in full and a new box was fitted.

4. Are you happy with the quality of the repair ?
we bend over backwards to help anyone with a fault but only if there is a fault.
if we cant fault it on the day we shouldnt be critisised for trying.

difference between 225 megane and clio's is huge.
we havent had 1 of the 20 ish 225's with any engine or gearbox issues.

but it is a common compliant for gear selection on the 182's,and they always quote off the forum saying boxes are chocolate.
oil leaks from rocker top and gearbox final drive seals,seat runners rattling and cutting out from cold.

we can never fault cutting out on the day,and have only faulted 1 gearbox so far.

oil leaks and seat runners we do alot of.

so in my opinion considering that alot of the clio's are within under 20's reach i would say the gearboxes are pretty sound for the abuse they get.