Reaction score
Been looking at a post on Cliosport about steering wheel wear as the roughness on mine starting to wind me up.

Its on the RHS on the wheel by the grip. Cliosport refer to it as 'melting'.

I have never seen anything like it. On previous old cars that I had +10 years when the wheel got worn it got shiney & smooth.

This is the opposite.

Anyone had similar?

Anyone had it replaced on Warranty?

How much does it cost to replace?

My wifes 182 is going too (30k) but mine is worse (20k).

Reaction score
Yes mine is the same and also the rubber came away, Renault said it was wear and tear, mine did have 55k on it though.
A couple of years ago i did get one replaced but car only had about 18k on it.

I think they are about £200 to buy a new one plus what ever stupid price Renault charge you to fit it.
I quite like the wheel out of the R27, they are about £180 but dont think they fit the 182's.

Reaction score
Not a Diesel!!! said:
Been looking at a post on Cliosport about steering wheel wear as the roughness on mine starting to wind me up.

I have never seen anything like it. On previous old cars that I had +10 years when the wheel got worn it got shiney & smooth.

This is the opposite.

Anyone had similar?

Snap! I have been back to Renault with 20k on the clock and asked for it to be replaced under warranty! They claimed wear and tear! Balls! Might try again as I have the creaking issue that is also a current topic!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
mines doing it also - noticed it last week, it's got a stickyness to it as if they it's worn down to the glue..... if the wheel didn't have the CC on it i'd just get a different one but i don't fancy the idea of fabricating a new switch...

Reaction score
Gregs said:
Not a Diesel!!! said:

This is the opposite.

Anyone had similar?

Snap! I have been back to Renault with 20k on the clock and asked for it to be replaced under warranty! They claimed wear and tear! Balls! Might try again as I have the creaking issue that is also a current topic!

my creaking turned out to be the ball joint maybe get yours checked over? just one of a few possibilities

back on topic, not really getting any wear on the steering wheel but i am getting some on the gearstick

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ditto... I have the 'melting' steering wheel too... and the price of a new wheel is a little steep. :?

Reaction score
This wear issue is rediculous - a mate had it on his 182 - surely it's not unreasonable to expect a steering wheel to last 100k miles. The only thing I would expect to see maybe would be a shiny surface or wear in the grain pattern - a sticky or rough wheel is not fit for purpose. I find it amazing what Renault fob off as wear and tear the trouble is that everyones warranty is about to expire if it hasn't already !.

Reaction score
Got the same issue with mine too, only noticed it over the last few weeks. Renault and warrenty cough.. not worth the paper its written on if you ask me they seem to find an excuse for everything and there prices for parts are a joke! A fantastic hot hatch with crap backup from its maker! shame :(

Reaction score
I'm a bit concerned mine might be on the way out too. unfortuantely it's not showing enough signs and the warranty only has a month left to run. At the top the grain seems to be more obvious than on the bottom.

I know some people have been looking into getting it retrimmed. If I could find someone who could mould new thumb grips and them retrim in alcantra I'd be very happy.

Reaction score
Exactly the same on mine, looking at getting one retimmed also, probably have to remove/cover up the tumbgrips though,

don't know if it would prevent it 'melting' :?

Reaction score
There was one on CS where they'd retrimmed in leather over the thumb grips, that made the grips look a bit fat. Taking them off and filling them with smaller grips or not at all would be ok I think.

Reaction score
Dico said:
Got the same issue with mine too, only noticed it over the last few weeks. Renault and warrenty cough.. not worth the paper its written on if you ask me they seem to find an excuse for everything and there prices for parts are a joke! A fantastic hot hatch with crap backup from its maker! shame :(

Had the same problem, guess what, Renault rejected my warranty claim. But to my amazingly my local main dealer (city motors, Bristol) customer services agreed to replace it free of charge!

Had other issues, but that's another story.