Reaction score
Recently my car has not been starting properly on the first turn of the key if its turned to quickly. i read up on this and it seems alot of 182s suffer with it but today it took me maybe 15 attempts to start the car.

The car was turning over strongly but just not catching before but this time it was either turning over strongly and not firing or not turning over at all! then on the last few attempts it began to fire on 1 or 2 cylinders before finally starting

Any ideas on this? The only thing i was already suspicious of was the TDC sensor, but how does the car run if this is faulty :?

any other ideas?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It won't fire with a faulty TDC, I would be looking at coil pack/injectors.

Reaction score
if it was an injector i'd expect it to fire on 3 not refuse to start?

is it a single coil pack or coil on plug i cant remember!?

Reaction score
Sounds to me like a faulty TDC sensor they have upgraded them recently with a new wiring loom plug you just cut old one off remove the 2 bolts then resolder new plug on and bolt on sensor. It on the top of the gearbox if you take out the air box pipe to throttle body you will see it.
It looks like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Clio-172- ... 5d2befef9a

This one above is the new style with the gold coated pins and blue connector don't use the crimps just solder the wires i use heat shrink around the cables.

You may find just taking the sensor off and cleaning the tip will help for a while. BTW common symptoms of the TDC sensor is non starting as engine cant read what it's doing at what degree. Iv seen it when you turn the key and nothing happens completely dead. This is where you can get a misfire i would look into this first its one of the most common things for renault's.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
you may find it useful to check the solenoids also - in the engine bay near the battery. a common failure on 182's. could be a sensor also but i'd say check the electrics first as it's a cheaper fix.

Reaction score
My TDC sensor went a while ago. Renault charge about £200 with labour to fix, shame really for such a small part but it is a bugger to get too.

Reaction score
My TCS Sensor went a while back, but got it done at local garage at £100. So not to bad, and everythign works again now.

I also got some tailored renualt clio car mats from a supplier that the garage gave to me - pretty impressed with them