Standard exhaust?

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Does anyone know if the standard exhaust is still available for the 182?

Thanks.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
No longer available from Renault I’m afraid and they very rarely crop up for sale anywhere in good enough condition to fit. I’ve been searching for 5years for a good one now and still no joy.

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
No longer available from Renault I’m afraid and they very rarely crop up for sale anywhere in good enough condition to fit. I’ve been searching for 5years for a good one now and still no joy.
Thanks for letting me know.

Reaction score
crazy how easy these rust out. My friends in Aus complain how poorly protected the standard exhausts are.

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’ve found a company that can supply a non genuine but as close to as possible. They’ve sent me an exploded diagram of the whole system but can’t give me a photo of the actual part.

I’ll keep you posted if I decide to go ahead and buy it.

Chipper

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Optimiz Access have reproduction rear systems advertised on a fb post from 28th May this year, no price etc. The boxes are not identical to the original shape with the grooves but the tails look close enough, maybe as close as you’ll get to a standard look from a new item?……IMG_0510.png

Reaction score
Optimiz Access have reproduction rear systems advertised on a fb post from 28th May this year, no price etc. The boxes are not identical to the original shape with the grooves but the tails look close enough, maybe as close as you’ll get to a standard look from a new item?……View attachment 32765
They look identical to the klaruis standard replacment system I fitted to my trophy. The part number is RN933E. Unfortunately the tips are quite poorly plated and went rusty so I cut mine off and replaced them with stainless items.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Let's be fair, without wishing to sound too negative - as Optimiz has been a good source for plenty of Trophy bits in recent times, I have to say, those exhaust systems are nothing like the originals and to my eyes look pretty shonky.

I think unless you're lucky enough to find a good original item then the only option is to fit something stainless, and of good quality.

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
It’s for this reason I’d like to see a photo of the system and not just an exploded diagram.

I may explore their returns policy and take a punt on it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Milltek might have a potential solution - they are gradually rolling out a "modern classics" range of exhausts which have been designed to mimic the tip/look of OEM, with all the benefits of stainless. I will contact them to see if they have any Clio plans. I have no doubt such a system would come at a premium, however.

It's a potential goldmine market and I'm surprised nobody has jumped on it

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Milltek might have a potential solution - they are gradually rolling out a "modern classics" range of exhausts which have been designed to mimic the tip/look of OEM, with all the benefits of stainless. I will contact them to see if they have any Clio plans. I have no doubt such a system would come at a premium, however.

That will certainly be interesting to hear about, though it's not just the exhaust tips is it that mark out the original system, it's those weird double skin pressed back boxes, which I can't imagine any company wanting to tool up for to sell probably 10-20 units per year at the most.

I know which way I'm going when I've recovered from 2 Cambelt services in a week, and it's off with the original exhaust while it's still restorable. I won't be refitting it any time soon, but it will be held in the parts barn for the next custodian... one day.

Reaction score

I always wished there had been an Akrapovic, as they did one for the 200.

rojer386

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.

This is very interesting actually. Please keep me updated with any findings.

Reaction score
The standard exhaust was terrible quality. Fitted the rs192 years ago & it's been brilliant since they sorted the centre section to cat join. It's got a great sound too, not too boomy.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just a small update - had a polite and upfront response from Milltek saying currently they do not believe the demand exists for a Modern Classic system on the 182, so are not actively pursuing it. I guess we need to either convince them by drumming up interest on the bigger 182 groups/forum or seek another alternative

Reaction score
We all love our Trophys but how many of us crave the true OEM look? Generously let’s call it 10% of 500.

Then look at non-Trophys and I can’t imagine another 50 owners would be interested, these are after all an incredibly talented hot hatch but at the budget end of the market where most folks aren’t interested in originality but favour performance and weight-saving plus those who’d rather bigger tips (oo-er) and more noise (to each, his own).

So a maximum of 100 units which in my mind is a pretty big overstatement, I just can’t see it being worth anyone’s while to get involved. Good luck to all those on the hunt for good condition used originals, that could be the best option…?

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
We all love our Trophys but how many of us crave the true OEM look? Generously let’s call it 10% of 500.

Then look at non-Trophys and I can’t imagine another 50 owners would be interested, these are after all an incredibly talented hot hatch but at the budget end of the market where most folks aren’t interested in originality but favour performance and weight-saving plus those who’d rather bigger tips (oo-er) and more noise (to each, his own).

So a maximum of 100 units which in my mind is a pretty big overstatement, I just can’t see it being worth anyone’s while to get involved. Good luck to all those on the hunt for good condition used originals, that could be the best option…?
I think you've said something similar there to my post earlier on.

I'm one of the folk who, if it was able to be (re)created, would be in the market for an original OEM spec and appearance exhaust However, like yourself, I'm not naive enough to think that any company is going to go to the expense of tooling up for a product that might sell at best perhaps 10 units a year...

For the main body of 1*2 owners there are a myriad of preferable options already on the market, be that in aesthetics, performance, weight, cost, you name it.

It's the same in the world of old Mini's, only very recently after 50years of superior aftermarket exhausts has one company begun to make an exhaust which outwardly has the aesthetics and appearance of an original Cooper or Cooper S OEM system( the original factory iteration of which was a heavy old thing with terrible flow characteristics - sound familiar?). The twist is, it's one of their race exhausts simply dressed up with an authentic looking silencer box (or boxes if you want to be more discreet). In a way it's a perfect solution - you get concours 'tick a box' looks but also the performance gains warranted by the last 50 odd years of experience and development. But even then, it' s a limited market and doesn't half come at a price, a price which still puts off those with a £60k Cooper S to upkeep... But there we go, you pays your money etc...

Perhaps in 40 years, someone at Alpine will decide to start recreating 182 exhausts, until then I think we'll have to make do with the aftermarket options, which are more than adequate, I'm waiting to see who's first in the queue to ask PMS to graft on some OEM tips to one of their race systems... :LOL:

Last edited: