Reaction score
I don't know if i am alone on this, but it strikes me after a week into the ownership of my Trophy that it has a ridiculous amount of squeaks, rattles and squeaky rattles!

The problem is probably emphasized by the fact that i am driving around in "silence" whilst i wait for a stereo code, but even so it is irritating. I have owned several other French hot hatches in my time, including Renault 5's, 306 gti-6's, 205 gti's and so on but none of these were as bad as this. I knew when buying the clio that it wouldn't be a showpiece of build quality and engineering but even so, it is completely pants and starting to spoil the car for me (even despite its awe inspiring handling). In comparison to this i also owned a MK1 golf GTI that was circa 20 years old which had absolutely no annoying habbits.

Anyone got any suggestions as to why it might be so bad or are they all like it!? Any solutions?

Please help, i am actually going crazy!

Reaction score
When I first bought 154, it was only just over a year old and it squeaked a little then... I felt and agreed with the previous owner that it was quirk that you accept as a Reno and in some ways is endearing.. Anyway, I no longer feel that way but I do put up with it to some degree. I expect you'll find that the only way to cure it is to pull the dash apart and fit some foam or something into the joints perhaps.. I don't say this from a tried and tested perspective, rather just as a suggestion...

Luckily for me, I don't drive the car often so it doesn't wind me up too much and ultimately, the driving experience far outweighs the annoyance of the rattles..!! :D

Reaction score
yep i was thinking about you radio...still cant find the sticker with the code on ?
when mine came up "error" that was it...i needed a new radio, the code wouldnt work at all.
if you put the wrong code in then it locks out for a hour of so, if you turn it back on now and it still says "error" then i'd say it was knackered...
mine packed up while trying to fit a tunepoint..

Reaction score
RESULT!

i have just managed to get the stereo code . Finally!

Haven't driven the car yet, but i have just remembered that that stereo makes other parts rattle if you turn it up too much!, has anyone upgraded their standard speakers and found this to make it worse, or is it the actual speakers that make the noise?

I spent this morning's commute to work in the car sticking pieces of folded up card in between bits of the dashboard and it has actually stopped 90% of the rattles - pretty chuffed really.

Also installed a ipod connection thanks to floridadaz over on cliosport.net - will test it out on the way home. If this doesn't work i will probably buy some ear plugs!

Reaction score
Have a search for some of oliie's posts. He spent quite a serious volume of cash on an expensive install with exceptionally good sound quality being the key. He also calculated that he could balance the weight gain by removing the ISOFIX bar, possibly a couple of other items too. I don't think he had issues with vibrations, though I expect he spent some money on sound deadening, I could be wrong - I haven't bothered to check.. Take a look.