Reaction score
Was just pouring over the press release of the Trophy on allvehicles and came across the term squab depth when refering to the Recaros. Just out of interest, can anyone tell me what it means please? I did google it but didn't find any answers in the first couple of pages... :?:

Reaction score
the squabs are the side pieces of the seat next to your legs ( i think) ...i guess the depth relates to how much they stick off the back part of the seat

Reaction score
That has always bugged me too, I couldn't find out either from searching. I should have asked on the Recaro stand at Autosport, never mind if that's what it is it kinda makes sense.

Reaction score
Ah cool, thanks! I too thought it was strange that I couldn't find a description of it on google...

Reaction score
" They also have far greater lateral support and adjustment to the squab depth "

It says the seats have adjustment to the squab depth. This would mean the squab is the part of the seat under your legs. It has the adjustable part at the front. From memory though, I think this part is called the cushion and the rear part was the squab. It's what's mostly known as the backrest. The side parts being "side bolsters" or similar.

A bit of a mistake really! :roll:

Reaction score
Lower part of the back rest is the lumbar support. Don't know about the part above. As for the 'side bolsters' I think that may be a laymans term.

Reaction score
Wonder if Reno write their stuff in French and then translate to English? Think had they referred to it as 'squab length' instead of 'squab depth' it would make more sense... at least to me :wink:
It has to be referring to the front piece of the seat that can be brought forward, increasing the length/depth of the squab. The squab being the piece of the seat underneath you that your legs and butt rest on.

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
Wonder if Reno write their stuff in French and then translate to English? Think had they referred to it as 'squab length' instead of 'squab depth' it would make more sense... at least to me :wink:
It has to be referring to the front piece of the seat that can be brought forward, increasing the length/depth of the squab. The squab being the piece of the seat underneath you that your legs and butt rest on.

This makes the most sense to me

Reaction score
I can confirm that the squab is the bit that you sit on, regardless of whether it has a fancy pull-out extension or not! :)

Reaction score
yes I finally discovered the variable squab depth the other day. Had looked for a lever for ages and given up hope.. Then I saw pics of Oliie's interior with the seat squab extended and had another look.. Discovered that I'm too short to require adjusting them anyway...!!! :roll:

Reaction score
Mmm, :?
It seems different companies refer to the squab as either the cushion (sit on part) or the backrest. It depends on what you read and the manufacturer. When I have built seat models in the past, the squab has always been the rear part of the seat. Renault is obviously referring to the lower part though.

Shabba said:
Lower part of the back rest is the lumbar support. Don't know about the part above. As for the 'side bolsters' I think that may be a laymans term.

Lumbar support is the term used for the adjustable part of the backrest if it has one. Bolster is a standard term in the indusrty.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the fact that my passenger seat doesn't slide any more. :evil:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Luke335 said:
Mmm, :?
It seems different companies refer to the squab as either the cushion (sit on part) or the backrest. It depends on what you read and the manufacturer. When I have built seat models in the past, the squab has always been the rear part of the seat. Renault is obviously referring to the lower part though.

Shabba said:

Lumbar support is the term used for the adjustable part of the backrest if it has one. Bolster is a standard term in the indusrty.

Personally, I'm more concerned about the fact that my passenger seat doesn't slide any more. :evil:

warrenty claim, mine didn't slide until last month... could either be seat runners or the wire/ball thing that can shatter.

Reaction score
Thanks Cue.
I did read about this but I'm stuck in France during the week. It's on the "to do" list. It's embarrassing enough trying to fit people in the back even when it works.
Also my grab handle fell off recently :lol: