Reaction score
Trophy No.
I know it was fifth gear but i have to get my fix somehow. Anyway just a sublime looking car but they quoted some bizarre performance figures (very slow) anyone else think it was odd/know any different.

Reaction score
Yeah Fifth Gear and Top Gear just aint the programs they used to be - though i find myself still watching most of the time. Saying that I missed most of it last night - is it still repeated later in the week?

What was the deal with the Spyder?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Someone correct me if i'm wrong please i can't remember the exact figures as i only started to think about it later but i would have thought that a car with an engine over three litres(?) bunging out about 240 bhp(?) would have been able to do 0-60 in better than 7.2? (again not sure of those figures)

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp ... &x=21&y=10

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Someone correct me if i'm wrong please i can't remember the exact figures as i only started to think about it later but i would have thought that a car with an engine over three litres(?) bunging out about 240 bhp(?) would have been able to do 0-60 in better than 7.2? (again not sure of those figures)

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp ... &x=21&y=10

No Jules, power has nowt to do with it, if you can only know one thing about a car to determine it's acceleration - it's power to weight ratio. New Alfa's are always slow, because they're always heavy. V6's do that to a car! Sound lovely though.

240bhp+ cars with 0-60 slower than the Trophy (6.3);

Alfa Romeo GT V6
Vauxhall Astra VXR (not quite 240 but worth mentioning one thinks)
Seat Leon Cupra (mk2) (ditto)
Vauxhall Vectra VXR
Saab 9-5 Aero
Volvo C70 T5 GT Convertible
Saab 9-3 2.8 Convertible

Jaguar S-Type 3.0 V6
MG ZT 260 V8
Soarer 4.0 V8 GT/Ltd
Mercedes SL350
BMW 535d Sport
Soarer 2.5 GT Twin Turbo
Lexus SC430
BMW 840 CI Sport
Mercedes CL 500
Bentley Arnage R
Bentley Azure Convertible
Bentley Continental R

Audi A8 4.2 Tdi quattro
Mazda 6 MPS
Porsche Cayenne S mk2
Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4
BMW X5 4.8i S
Audi Q7 4.2
Porsche Cayenne S
Mercedes ML55 AMG
RangeRover Sport V8 Super Charged
Mercedes R Class 5.0
Volkswagen Touareg V8

In fact for a 240bhp car to post a 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds it has to weigh less than;

1405kg if FWD
1432kg if RWD and
1546kg if 4WD.

You could sum up all of this crap by saying that 'weight is the enemy'.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
:lol: You're right, you do like lists. I tried using the weight argument over on RS recently and got shouted down of course. I just couldn't quite believe that they could make such a lovely car so ponderous allbeit one that is almost half a tonne heavier than the little red running shoe and neither could a couple of friends, hence the original question.
That link you posted on the 0-100 thread is interesting, not much that is quicker, although the two mini's stick in the kraw a bit :)

Reaction score
Alfa have dropped the biggest goolie ever with the 159/Brera platform. According to Autocar even the 2.2 Spyder actually weighs 1,670 kg (at least 100 kg more than Alfa will admit). Their test of the 3.2 Brera came in at 1,745, so the 3.2 Spyder is probably over 1,800.

Alfa have stated that these cars will go on a two stage diet, but at 300 kg more than the equivalent TT, I can not see themever being remotely sporting.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
George K said:
Alfa have dropped the biggest goolie ever with the 159/Brera platform. According to Autocar even the 2.2 Spyder actually weighs 1,670 kg (at least 100 kg more than Alfa will admit). Their test of the 3.2 Brera came in at 1,745, so the 3.2 Spyder is probably over 1,800.

Alfa have stated that these cars will go on a two stage diet, but at 300 kg more than the equivalent TT, I can not see themever being remotely sporting.

Blimey, at over 700kg's more than the trophy that would explain a lot :shock:

Reaction score
Alfa's are made of old Italian tanks (which all reversed into the Med to escape the war).

Lists! Oh I love lists, almost as much as I love formulae. Whenever i want to kill a thread on RS I just post a formula up, digital tumbleweed. Don't try it on with a GP when it comes to virtual battles it has a power/weight of over 200bhp/ton making it better than a lot of serious machinery, in reality it's not that much quicker than the Trophy because it can't get all it's power down. Road tests have it as 6.0 secs dead. Still pretty good for a front driver though, just not for a £20K + car.