Sports Cat

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Currently have a stainless cat-back system on my 182, which bolts up to the standard cat. Looking to see if anyone has a sports cat they don't want? It would have to be a replacement for the OEM cat (i.e. it would fit a standard system), for example a Milltek Sports Cat will not fit as it does not have the olive joint like the OEM one.

I am having a Yanoo shifter fitted in a couple of weeks time, so as the cat needs to be dropped to do this, thought I might as well replace it if I can. If nothing comes up within a couple of weeks then I will leave it. Also happy to do a deal with my standard cat too, which is in good working order. Would have to send this to you once removed from my car though.

Cheers
Ash

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The standard cat IS a 200 cell sports cat so i wouldn't be worried about swopping for another.

Reaction score
If the stainless cat-back that you have is 2 1/2" then it might be worth getting the cat modified, so that the outlet is 2 1/2". The standard cat has a 2" outlet, apparently to help the cat warm up quicker. Making this outlet 2 1/2" to match the rest of the cat back system will help improve flow and would probably be a better mod than spending a fortune on a sports cat.
I have a ktec exhaust on mine and carried out this mod recently.

Reaction score
which one did you get?
I got the stiff shift 3.0. There is an aluminium piece that clamps around the plastic pivot at the bottom of the gearlever that you can loosen/tighten, that allows you to adjust the stiffness/force required to change gear. Tbh I have not adjusted it since fitting.
I would recommend getting a ph1 gear assembly and fitting the kit to it before fitting into the car. I think the ph1 shifter looks and feels nicer than the 182's

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If the stainless cat-back that you have is 2 1/2" then it might be worth getting the cat modified, so that the outlet is 2 1/2". The standard cat has a 2" outlet, apparently to help the cat warm up quicker. Making this outlet 2 1/2" to match the rest of the cat back system will help improve flow and would probably be a better mod than spending a fortune on a sports cat.

Thanks for the advice. So would I be looking at doing something like this... http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=252&model=6

So if I bought that in the link above and had it welded to my cat, and then had the olive joint cut off from the end of my centre section, then use a sleeve or something to join the centre section and cat? Pretty good idea actually, as I am sure there is a slight whistle/leak from the join between cat and centre section, and I have read that this is a common issue when using a cat back and the standard cat, because the olive joint is a poor design. So this would also cure that too.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for the advice. So would I be looking at doing something like this... http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=252&model=6

So if I bought that in the link above and had it welded to my cat, and then had the olive joint cut off from the end of my centre section, then use a sleeve or something to join the centre section and cat? Pretty good idea actually, as I am sure there is a slight whistle/leak from the join between cat and centre section, and I have read that this is a common issue when using a cat back and the standard cat, because the olive joint is a poor design. So this would also cure that too.

I was going to suggest the pure motorsport cone but kept quiet as you would need to chop the end joint off your exhaust as well.

Reaction score
Trophy No.

I was going to suggest the pure motorsport cone but kept quiet as you would need to chop the end joint off your exhaust as well.

Yeah that is the only thing. I never plan to change the exhaust on the car though, so I think I am going to go with this and just cut off the olive joint from the centre section. If I ever changed I would just have to sell it with the cat, and source another cat.

While your looking at pure website check out the shifter kit its awesome

While it is an awesome bit of kit, I have already got a shifter from a Ph1 172, with the adjustable stiff shift kit from a guy called Yanoo (DP Automotive). Mine is mainly a daily so didn't want the PMS shifter, nice bit of kit though!

Reaction score
I guess a secondhand sports Cat which fits directly would still be more free flowing than the standard cat. You only have to look at the shape and size to realise the standard one could be better. Obviously if no-one is selling one then the cat mod would be a good alternative.

Reaction score

Ash J, the pure Motorsport part is an expensive way of doing it. You can do it by just welding the 2 1/2" pipe directly onto the end of the cat. The PM part replaces the end of the cat - which isn't needed. If the cat is cut tight to the lambda boss then this opens it up to 2 1/2" and still allows room to weld.
It's pretty straight forward for anyone handy with a welder.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&r...0-JUWXlAeth2NceYnXoTDrGA&ust=1434566187744747

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ash J, the pure Motorsport part is an expensive way of doing it. You can do it by just welding the 2 1/2" pipe directly onto the end of the cat. The PM part replaces the end of the cat - which isn't needed. If the cat is cut tight to the lambda boss then this opens it up to 2 1/2" and still allows room to weld.
It's pretty straight forward for anyone handy with a welder.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&r...0-JUWXlAeth2NceYnXoTDrGA&ust=1434566187744747

Hi Mark, thanks for this. That is a good thread link actually, can see what you mean now, there is enough room to weld still and leave the lambda boss in place. So I guess it would be a case of getting a short piece of 2 1/2" pipe, welding it to the cat after cutting olive joint off, and then using a sleeve or something to join the cat and middle box once the olive joint has been cut off my centre box too?

Next question, anybody suggest somewhere to take my car in Hampshire to have this done?! Nearer to Portsmouth the better but willing to travel a bit! I guess a custom exhaust maker ideally?

Reaction score
Mike Edwards / Edwards Racing - I think they're up the M3, possibly even inside the M25, but it's one option.

Otherwise, ask Mike at Rentech. No doubt he'll know someone decent.

Reaction score
Hi Mark, thanks for this. That is a good thread link actually, can see what you mean now, there is enough room to weld still and leave the lambda boss in place. So I guess it would be a case of getting a short piece of 2 1/2" pipe, welding it to the cat after cutting olive joint off, and then using a sleeve or something to join the cat and middle box once the olive joint has been cut off my centre box too?

Next question, anybody suggest somewhere to take my car in Hampshire to have this done?! Nearer to Portsmouth the better but willing to travel a bit! I guess a custom exhaust maker ideally?

Yes Ash, that's exactly what I done. The ktec system i have is sleeved where it meets the cat. The piece of stainless 2 1/2" I used was 13cm long. Any decent exhaust maker will be able to do this for you.

Your car is coming along lovely! Best of luck and health to enjoy!