Sportlines...Sachs...Scotland?

Tav

Reaction score
So swapped the cup dampers out for Rik Perry refurbished Sachs that came with the car. Went out for a couple of drives expecting to be blown away...not so much.

Maybe feels a little more supported in a corner - plus point. Ride is worse pretty much everywhere - negative point. Doesn't feel any more confidence inspiring when on it. Bobbles/small bounces when dotting around at town speeds. Plenty great B-roads up here - so it's had a proper seeing to.

Dampers set to suggested clicks from Rik. Also tried + 2 and -2 from these settings...+ was marginally more annoying over bad surfaces. - was marginally less annoying.

Currently thinking what is the fuss is all about? I had a 182 Cup for 7 years and right now I don't feel the Trophy is delivering any measure-able improvement apart from looking better and having better seats.

It's either:
  • Sportline springs that came with the car not working well with the stock Sachs - though seemed fine with the Cup dampers.
  • My butt dyno is way out of calibration after driving an MX5 with Ohlins for ages
I've got a set of Prolines I can swap in and try again. I'm going to get the geometry looked at. Would love to get a seat in another Trophy to compare - but not sure anyone up near Aberdeen? Hillclimb next week so they'll get a proper seeing to there as well.

I wanted to be really impressed...currently feeling a little underwhelmed. Anyone else done back to back with Cup suspension? Thoughts?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So swapped the cup dampers out for Rik Perry refurbished Sachs that came with the car. Went out for a couple of drives expecting to be blown away...not so much.

Maybe feels a little more supported in a corner - plus point. Ride is worse pretty much everywhere - negative point. Doesn't feel any more confidence inspiring when on it. Bobbles/small bounces when dotting around at town speeds. Plenty great B-roads up here - so it's had a proper seeing to.

Dampers set to suggested clicks from Rik. Also tried + 2 and -2 from these settings...+ was marginally more annoying over bad surfaces. - was marginally less annoying.

Currently thinking what is the fuss is all about? I had a 182 Cup for 7 years and right now I don't feel the Trophy is delivering any measure-able improvement apart from looking better and having better seats.

It's either:
  • Sportline springs that came with the car not working well with the stock Sachs - though seemed fine with the Cup dampers.
  • My butt dyno is way out of calibration after driving an MX5 with Ohlins for ages
I've got a set of Prolines I can swap in and try again. I'm going to get the geometry looked at. Would love to get a seat in another Trophy to compare - but not sure anyone up near Aberdeen? Hillclimb next week so they'll get a proper seeing to there as well.

I wanted to be really impressed...currently feeling a little underwhelmed. Anyone else done back to back with Cup suspension? Thoughts?

I have a decent set of Cup dampers as spares for when my Sachs are shot but they appear to be holding up well to the elements and were rock solid when I took them off in February. Interesting commets nonetheless and will report back once I've ran mine with the Cup shocks for a week or two.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've got cup dampers on mine at the minute, could do a back to back passenger ride in each other's cars if you wanted?

I'm in Carnoustie but could meet half way. I'm curious myself to see the difference as I'll be getting Rik to do my dampers in June.

Reaction score
I have to say as a driving car and not really taking anything to the limit I do wonder whether my Cup is a better drive generally across all surfaces. My Trophy is fully standard, my Cup is standard front with Eibach rear springs. I do think there is little to split them and guessing the difference probably starts to show itself on the track where I would guess without question the Sachs will outperform the Cup set up.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well it was concived as a track car TBH and all the testing would have been done on track for the damper development .. I have said in my thread i belive the low speed damping is on the high side for the road .. I must play with that and see if i can help the road manners..

R

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I would dispute the statement that the T was conceived as a track car, I seem to remember that all the early press was aimed at the "about as much fun as you can have going from A to B on an English B road' But back to the problem at hand, tyres and geometry.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Agree with @hoolio - the T was/is regarded as a B-road warrior whilst the [172] Cup was more 'track focused'. I have to say that, in my experience, the Sachs perform superb on track but really come alive when enjoying some decent-surfaced back roads. Sure, the ride is crashy but I have far more confidence in the Sachs than the Cup setup. Not that the Cup setup is bad... far from it, these RS Clios just handle well generally.

Reaction score
I'd say its maybe down to the springs, having two trophies for a short time both running cup dampers but with different springs -
Your car fitted with sportlines which cornered very flat, the other fitted with mark fish springs had bit more movement,

Taking a guess that the spring rate for the sportlines might be higher then stock.

Tav

Reaction score
Id still like to know what tyres he's on.. If it's the Nakang's at 30psi then I think I see the problem..

Rik...you know your stuff! Nankangs at 26psi and the ride has improved two fold. Just came on tonight to update this thread with that news and saw your post.

Must admit on most cars I just bang in 30psi and never had a problem to date.

Hillclimb at the weekend I had them down at 24psi and on the drive home it was really nice. Don't feel too bad when the MNR next to me is down at 14 psi!