Splitter Talk.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well, after a good few years of having a Fabia splitter adorning the front of #407 and admittedly not being too fussed about it, Mr @NickReilly063 has finally shamed me into thinking I ought to fit a more genuine item. As the car's getting older I feel I ought to keep it a tad more outwardly original, befitting the rest of the car, it's weighty service history folder and low owner count. So, given other folks recent good fortune with that place in France, I've duly ordered up a new Ragnotti one. Looking forward to the big box arriving this next week, and yes, I may have ordered a few other goodies therein also! 😀

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Welcome to the club Ed - I’ll look forward to seeing it attached to your T in your next 407 write up along with your other mysterious goodies - is there anything I need to order to bring mine on too 👍🏻

Or in person soon now the weather is changing 🚗🚗

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Welcome to the club Ed - I’ll look forward to seeing it attached to your T in your next 407 write up.

Or in person soon now the weather is changing 🚗🚗

I just hope it doesn't bring about a spate of smashing the damn things off! :ROFLMAO:

Went through 3 genuine ones "back in the day" on my 172 Cup, those tight backroads around Outlane, Golcar & Slawit had an appetite for them... ;)

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
These threads are making my decision to buy and salt away one of the original splitters a while back an expensive mistake. Ho hum.
How much were Renault UK selling them for at that point Jules? If you don't mind me asking.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Erm, would have to dig out invoices but I’m fairly certain it was not too far short of £300 :oops: Kinda old money as well.

Ouch! But I can't say I'm surprised by that figure Jules, Renault UK seem to have an "interesting" approach to pricing...

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
An update on my splitter order, arrived today from France, pretty impressed by that level of service and shipping time to be honest. It's got here quicker than some UK parts suppliers (particularly the Classic Mini lot) can manage!

I've given it a good looking at and to my eyes I'd say it's more or less identical to the original item fitted, if anything the casting seems slightly more robust - which has to be a good thing given the propensity for the originals to disintegrate at the merest sniff of tarmac.

The other goodies I ordered are also excellent, genuine OEM Renault parts - in original Renault packaging, for a fraction of the UK prices even with the international shipping. All in all, very pleased indeed.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just a wee word of caution on ordering these from Oreca, today I've received a import duty/customs clearance invoice from FedEx. So that's an extra £36 to pay on top of my original order, glad I ordered when there was the 15% discount on the site.

I'm going to query the import duty invoice, but tbh doubt I'll get anywhere, so there we go, some things in life do end up turning out to be too good to be true...

I have to say I preferred it pre-brexit when you didn't get hit with this kind of bollocks.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
That doesn’t sound right Ed and a shame only yourself has received it - is there a threshold before import taxes do you think.

I thought the invoice calculated the taxes before you checkout on the site.

Sorry Chaps

However, customs and duty fees may be applied depending upon the value of the parcel. Parcels marked as a ‘gift’ under the value of £39 (approximately €46) shouldn’t have any extra fees to pay, but any item above this will be subject to UK VAT at 20%. Items valued over £135 (approximately €159) may also be subject to customs duties depending on their origin and value. Find out more about taxes and duties here.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
That doesn’t sound right Ed and a shame only yourself has received it - is there a threshold before import taxes do you think.

I thought the invoice calculated the taxes before you checkout on the site.

Sorry Chaps

However, customs and duty fees may be applied depending upon the value of the parcel. Parcels marked as a ‘gift’ under the value of £39 (approximately €46) shouldn’t have any extra fees to pay, but any item above this will be subject to UK VAT at 20%. Items valued over £135 (approximately €159) may also be subject to customs duties depending on their origin and value. Find out more about taxes and duties here.

I've done some quick reading up and it seems there's a threshold of £135, above which duty is applied. So just ordering the splitter should see you below that, it was perhaps me being greedy with the addition of the other goodies which has been my downfall. Something I'll bear in mind if ordering again.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ive had to pay tax quite a few times ordering parts from France.
Its just a necessary evil now considering the dealers here won't stock or sell us the parts we need for our cars because they are no longer available in this country but they are in Europe.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ive had to pay tax quite a few times ordering parts from France.
Its just a necessary evil now considering the dealers here won't stock or sell us the parts we need for our cars because they are no longer available in this country but they are in Europe.

I guess you're right it is, it was just a bit of an unwelcome surprise on the doormat after a bit of a long day.