Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting something RWD to replace my Trophy perhaps an Elise or VX220 but can anyone make any other suggestions or have they had any experience with either car?

Thanks.

:)

Reaction score
Have passengered in a VX220 Turbo at Bedford, it felt very nimble and pretty quick without much drama. Good brakes too.

Reaction score
I have spent a lot of time in the lotus community, as my bro has an elise. So as me anything you need to know. If I don't know i'll be able to point you in the right direction. VXT is a good car. But you can get a S2 Exige 190 now for £18k-20K. It looks much better, has more downforce, and has a ready upgrade path with the katana supercharger. Look at SELOC and Lotus on track. The lotus community is the best car community I know, sorry T owners. Speak to Paul Golding if you can get hold of him on seloc. He's the boss. Ok true story time.
You know the blonde guy that presents Formula 1 - Jay comfrey or something. Well he got his ards racing licence. Paul somehow persuaded him to enter the elise trophy race series, as started be him, using paul's car, as his first race. But David coultard will be his driving coach and Eddie jordan his team boss. It couldn't be more crazy. =P~ :lol:

Reaction score
Trophy, driven backwards.

:D

I intended to buy something 4/RWD when I got the Trophy, and intended to replace it with something 4/RWD... and failed.

As I need something that's smallish and a bit practical but also lots of fun, my choice is very limited. Can't get a 1-Series either, as my old man has one!

Reaction score
IMO VX/Elise aren't great everyday use cars. I would imagine getting in and out of them would be a bit of bind, especially with the roof on a cold wet day. Weekend car yes, everyday, not so sure. I've also recently been thinking about going back to RWD, not sure of your budget, and have been scanning autotrader for S2000, Boxter, MR2 Spyder and Mazda MX5 though not overly keen on convertibles, BMW 130iM, 330i or M3 (high mileage), Porsche 968 (may be too old), 350z (heavy on fuel), RX8 (heavy on fuel and oil), 200SX (not keen on styling). Then I take a drive in the Clio and think......those RWD cars can wait a little longer for now...

Reaction score
Had an Elise 111R prior to the Trophy and rated it very highly indeed. The Toyota engine and gearbox feel bulletproof if a little peaky. If you can stretch to it the supercharged Exige has a lot more low down grunt. I don't think you would be disappointed with any Elise/VX derivative though. Early Elises are an absolute steal now and you probably will not depreciate much more now if properly looked after. If you need something a little more practical then an E46 M3 seems like good value but running costs are much higher. I still reckon Trophy's are as much fun as any of these though :D

Reaction score
Curveball.

I had a Brabus Roadster Coupe before the Trophy.

Great Economy. Lots of Fun. Outstanding handling. A little slow on gearchange. Short Service Intervals.

On the plus side you can get them for the same as you'd sell your Trophy. Even cheaper if you pick one up in winter months.

You dont miss the speed when driving in isolation and you can almost hear the exhaust over the laughter.

I'd go back to one.

Reaction score
If you want one of the above I would go for a VX220T. They are very reasonably priced right now and when specced up will walk all over an Exige/Exige S and still cost less. A friend had a very good example a couple of years back which I drove numerous times. It was very very fast and looked better than an Exige too (his one did, not standard they don't though). There are some great examples for sale on PH at the moment with very reasonable prices.

They are so easy to tune. My friend's was 220bhp and 250lb/ft of torque and it was very fast. 360bhp Evo 6 fast. Great chassis, very good round track and lovely for a bit of roof down action aswell. Money no object I would have an Exige S but realistically I would get a VX and spec it up.

His spec was basically;

TMS Stage 2 remap (220bhp/250lb/ft)
Milltek exhaust system and sports cat
1-off Silver and blue exterior
AP Racing 4 pot brakes
OZ Racing Superturismo's in black
Nitrons
TMS Carbon Front Splitter
TMS Carbon Rear Diffuser

You can pick this sort of spec car up for not very much these days.

Reaction score
Ok Smart Roadster, please no. Heard lots about them, all bad I'm afraid. M3's are a great all rounder, but you wouldn't want to mod them really. Don't know if that is your thing. The brakes are not good, AP's are the very expensive answer. £1300 per axle. Great cars but costly to run.
Its true that the elise platform is not for everyone. It is the most pure driving experience you are ever likely to have. It all comes down to your mileage, types of road used, etc. Do you like comfort? You can even get a jag V8 conversion for the VX220 now. Imagine that!
I've always had front wheel drives. Last time was looking for an MX-5, to replace my 172cup. I needed a car quick for commuting and couldn't get the right MX-5 in time. So I started looking at clios again. Withing 5 mins I'd found the T and the rest is history. Since then I've been driving my bro's elise on car limits days. I love it. The instructor said I drive the elise better than my T. I beat my bro's time too. So much for the poor driver lol. So at the mo I have the best of both worlds, T for work everyday and borrow the elise for track work. Can't wait for the honda conversion lol. :mrgreen:

Reaction score
I also thought about 4x4s, but the weight penalty is quite high. They can do lots, but they are not very rewarding. Its controlled by a computer etc. They are also expensive to run. You get tired of the silly boost as well eventually.

Max

Reaction score
Don't discount the MX-5 just because it doesn't have the same image as an Elise or a VX. They are great cars.

My Dad and I went halfs on a '02 1.8 Sport (LSD and 6 speed box) from BCA Auctions, with 49k on the clock it was
£3750 which included the buyers fee. With a few tweaks they are very capable cars and the aftermarket scene is HUGE.

They are (very nearly) bullet proof, easy to work on, have loads of suppliers of cheap parts and 250hp is achievable with
a supercharger kit.

Attachments

• th_IMG_0557.jpg
    th_IMG_0557.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 285

keo

Reaction score
i had a VX220 T amazing car i loved it, but it come to a crumpled mess of fiberglass when i spun it on oil a few months ago :( I cant afford another one as insurance would kill me becuase of my age, i come from a background of 106GTI's but i am thinking about getting a clio trophy hope i make the right decision

Reaction score
as some may know, i replaced my T with an r26, which to be honest is not much fun, great everyday car though, so anyway i dont know why but i bought an mx5 for a laugh, my god, its ace!!!! would not pick one over an elise but for a grand its such a laugh, meg is getting dusty!!!and it was on front of evo this month with the T and the r26r :D

Reaction score
They are great, Mrs Theboy's is in a rare colour that polishes up a treat.

1000252q.jpg