Reaction score
I was thinking this very same thing last night! I check the site every day and have resorted to reading old technical posts for entertainment. I especially enjoyed the ones in the last days of King Stromba and the april fools joke by Nik - very good. Reading Harry Metcalfe's posts were brilliant too, don't think anyone knew he was EVO's editor when they were talking to him. It's testiment indeed to the Trophy's brilliance, he's running a 550 too!

Maybe the shitty weather has put people off driving or doing anything to their cars.

I was behind a blue Focus ST almost the whole way to work today, he really opened it up every opportunity he got, really fast, although when I was near 5K revs, he wasn't getting away from me, I think he found it quite frustrating.

Would have had him on the twisties...etc.etc.power to weight..blah blah...turbo lag...etc.etc.

No seriously I really like them, I would have considered getting one, but the reports weren't brilliant and they do seem a bit nose heavy and on the lardy side, coming from a 205 GTI, it would have seemed a bit of a tank, not really my cup of tea. If you like forced induction and need the space though, a brilliant buy...deffo have one over a Golf/Meggy/VXR.

If I was spended £17.5K on a focus though, there's no way I could resist a mint low milaege RS. So fast and they still look good.

I'm a bit apprehensive that the new Focus RS will be a 300bhp 4WD monster and be bloody fast and capable but will put itself against the Impreza and EVO X, dangerous terrritory indeed!

Hows that then?!! Now, some replies please!

Reaction score
Nice one Steve!

I recently recall an event when a said VXR was also in a very similar frustrating position... it had lots of stickers down the side of the car but it didn't seem to be helping it!!

I think it is owned by a motorsport company of some sort. Would love to talk to that guy in person to hear his shocked words... :)

Re. RS vs new ST... I think the RS is under rated but still over valued. It feels special while the ST feels more like a S40 to drive and not as comfortable to sit inside.

ST for motorway miles, RS for the weekend backroads :twisted:

Trophy for the best of both.... :roll: :p :D

O.

Reaction score
In response to Hyb's question;

Wouldn't you? I know of one Trophy owner who's moving on to an ST. I can see the reasons too, it's a much more practical car, but there are many reasons why I wouldn't get one. Popularity is one, strangely. Soon, they will be littering the roads like Golf GTI's and Civic Type R's. Still, better than seeing Vectras and Mondeos all the time.

They look good in blue too, I sat in the orange concept at Goodwood and liked that colour as well but I think the blue is better. Not as nice as the RS though, the original focus shape was ground-breaking when it came out and has been copied endlessly without being bettered. Clio MKIII included!

Reaction score
Old Focus RS for me every time! It's the only other fwd car that I would consider changing the Trophy for. It is very agressive, low volume and looks great, just like the Trophy! New ST is just a bit too safe for me, and then there is the size and weight of it, reckon throwing the Trophy around corners is much more fun than trying to drive the ST fast, it is just too heavy and soft!

Reaction score
Talking of "other marques" what do you think of the new model Civic Type R ? I wasn't too fussed when the yellow show car appeared but this week's Auto Express shows one in red which looks totally different (a lot less Max Power).

Also, has anyone seen much about the forthcoming Mazda 3 MPS. Apparently it's going to be quite tasty (250bhp, Less than £20k to buy iirc)

And of course the Corsa VXR is on the way.....

I think that the Clio 197 is going to struggle............

Reaction score
same as me, if i could afford an rs focus i would get one over any car.
i love the looks and to me is just as much fun as driving the trophy. The rs is much more agressive aswell

Reaction score
and what is the point of a corsa vxr lol. i hate them dam things as much as spinage

Reaction score
drexel said:
and what is the point of a corsa vxr lol. i hate them dam things as much as spinage

200bhp, 0-60 approx 6 secs, less than 16k to buy

You may hate them but a lot of people will buy that over the 197 (chavs won't be able to afford them)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
MickD said:
drexel said:

200bhp, 0-60 approx 6 secs, less than 16k to buy

You may hate them but a lot of people will buy that over the 197 (chavs won't be able to afford them)

I've heard of this corsa - given Vauxhall's rep on powerful front drive cars and their torque steer, I'd stay clear. Only small car worth spending money on is the Clio. If your talking about £15k cars then it'd be a late 90's M3 evo everytime. You can't break 'em and they'll torch about everything on the road. Thinking of it make sure its a '99 onwards as they are tricky in the wet without traction control - it wasn't brought in til '98. I know this to my cost (teach me for showing off)

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a Corsa VXR if they threatened to kill my family If I didn't. In fact i wouldn't take one if they were giving them away, actually i would and take it to the nurburgring with false plates and leave it in the Armco on Karussel. (this is where some of them will end up, knowing vauxhalls on-limit handling, no doubt)

The only time there has ever been a Vauxhall badge on a good sporting car is when they've paid Lotus to design and build it. Or when GM have re-badged a Holden. I hate to generalise but I've seen more Vauxhalls driven badly by complete penis's than any other make of car. Why do diesel Vectra drivers think they're driving a 200mph NASCAR? I mean they genuinely look surprised when you overtake them.

Deffo with the EVO, or the E30 M3 or 325is for that matter.

Reaction score
Cue said:
hyb said:
You would get a RS over an ST?

everytime - the ST is frustratingly slow when you want to rip into it. My mate's got one and he can't live with the trophy on a B-road.

The ST is after all a Volvo S40 in drag...

O.