Reaction score
George K said:
I hate to spoil the party, but the deflection of a rubber top mount in Trophy type suspension will translate to less than1/3 degree. A solid top mount will certainly feel more harsh, which could easily be confused with being more precise. Would only do it if running race springs (5 x stiffer than road) and slicks, when the loads are much higher. Certainly when running soft track tyres I did not notice a problem.

Yeh, I doubt I'll do this myself. I really don't want to be messing with the great Trophy setup it already has.

Plus it'll effect the driving in the sense that its more raw and louder and it still has to perform as road car.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
George K said:
I hate to spoil the party, but the deflection of a rubber top mount in Trophy type suspension will translate to less than1/3 degree. A solid top mount will certainly feel more harsh, which could easily be confused with being more precise. Would only do it if running race springs (5 x stiffer than road) and slicks, when the loads are much higher. Certainly when running soft track tyres I did not notice a problem.

Whilst it's hard to argue with the notion that once we've parted with our hard earned we convince ourselves that things are much better, be it faster, louder whatever and i know that George only deals with facts i certainly felt that the car was a very different place to be after i had these fitted. It would be hard to pin down what was making it feel like a different car as i had a whole string of mods done at the same time but i do know that it felt even more planted and taught and gave me even more confidence in the car which for me is a good enough reason in itself. :)

Reaction score
Hoolio - you make a very good point, which is that if you gain the extra confidence in the car to be able exploit it to the full, then this is huge plus. We used to spend a lot of time working out the difference between the simulated performance of an F1 car and what the data logging showed was actually happening - part of the gap was down to driver confidence, and so it was worth changing the feel of the car, even if technically it did not make it any faster, just so that he could push the envelope that but further. The Schmuachers and Hamiltons of this world are able to consistently narrow the gap just that bit more than the rest; for us mere mortals any help is worth while!!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have not noticed any improvement in handling. I like the fact I can feel the road alot more and feel the moment the tyres start to lose grip. It helps me to control the car alot more. I agree that the added confidence could make it feel like the handling has improved.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
My top mounts are making lots of noise, knocking and banging constantly over straight roads. It doesnt sound right !
How are yours for noise and knocking etc...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
They can be quite noisey as in the transfer of road noise and even small holes will sound as though the wheel is falling off :? Pity you're not closer we could compare, i think Cue maybe going to the N/W meet are you? I presume you've been checking for loosening etc.

You could always phone me from your car so i can listen :lol:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Checked for loosening the other day. going to check again tomorrow.
Ye it does sound as if the wheel is going to fall off :lol:
The roads around here are pretty rough so I guess this is normal. Its making me think about taking them off. :?
(well..maybe :wink: ) I can live with it if the crashing and banging is normal, they make you realise how much stick the dampers take !

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Had a thought today (whoa careful julz) did you refit the rubber sheathing on the springs, i think this may increase the noise as it is only fitted where the coils are closest and likely to bang together.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ye cleaned the original ones and re fitted them. Im going to remove them on Tuesday, there not ment for UK roads and the cumbria B roads are harsh. Im only planning on doing 2 or 3 track days a year so its not worth it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Weird, concentrated pretty hard on this when i went out last weekend, b roads, and it's nowhere near harsh enough for me to want to remove them, perhaps try to get a ride with Cue to see if you did have a problem.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ill see if Cue will take me for a spin in his on this meet. I dont like the quality of them either and the fact they dont fit in the turrents properly. Later on in the year im going to order the Mark fish top mounts and lower/stiffer springs. Then I will set the dampers softer for road use.
Im just not happy with them Hoolio and feel the Mark Fish ones will be a big improvement over the KTR ones. The reason im removing them now is because i am getting the geometry setup next w/e and after that I dont want to be removing the dampers or changing the mounts as this will affect the geometry.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
^^^Totally understand all of the above, if you're not happy you're not happy and are unlikely to be so. I totally agree that the MF ones are different class and i'm sure you will be able to recoup most of the cost of the KTR ones over on CS. I've already outlined why i didn't go for the MF ones elsewhere but remember 7Mat also removed his because he found them a little harsh day to day even with a softer setting on the dampers. It will be a good idea to feel how Cue's are.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ye hopefully I can see how Cue's feel then I will know for sure whether or not mine were fitted correctly.
I need to have a good think now whether or not to buy Mark Fish top mounts at some point. I drive B roads every day, 70% of my driving is on B roads and I dont know whether it will be worth buying STM's at all. At least I can say ive tried them.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just the standard rubber ones.

Reaction score
Think ill just stick with standard set up. what is "geometry setup" which you have stated above in the thread