Reaction score
Told you I had a strange wheel question....

The Ski season's just about over now here (maybe one or two more chances but it's getting warm now) - I read in the owners manual that one cannot fit Snow Chains to the Trophy (or the 182 either I think), this is a bummer if I want to use the T to go skiing in; just wondered why not - any firm views??

Reaction score
Because there's not enough clearance around the wheels. you'll flail your arches to bits, plus you might cause problems for those lovely Sachs race dampers.

Anyway, you should get a set of 15'' wheels with winter tyres and then you'd be able to fit chains if you need to.

oxygen did this with his Trophy, he's based in Ticino, Switzerland and I expect he needs them often. He got a set of old Clio Williams wheels and had them done up in anthracite. Trophy looks great with them. You'll find some photos here somewhere if you do a search.

Reaction score
You've got a set of old 15"s kicking about somewhere, haven't you!? :wink:

Not sure the current tyre choice can be classed as winter tyres though!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Can you not get studded tyres :wink:

or a Landrover perhaps...

Reaction score
I already have a Range Rover, just sometimes it would be good to take the T - only need chains for the last bit and then only a few times a year when the road clearers are caught out: the rest of the trip up and down is a blast!!

Reaction score
i had some wrc spec rally tyres on some turbines courtesy of a friend of mine who's garage run a rally clio.

The last trip to austria was epic 8)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
To go into switzerland during ski season you have to have winter tyres fitted by law don't you?? I think this question has come up previously...

spare set of steel 15" wheels with winter tyres is fine plus maybe keep some of these in the boot : viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6819&start=15

Reaction score
Cue,

You are not obliged to have winter tyres in Switzerland during the cold season, BUT there are some insurers over there who will refuse to cover you if you don't have them fitted and with minimum 4mm tread left!.

There are some roads where chains (or studded tyres, which you hardly ever see now) are obligatory.

There is such a huge improvement with winter tyres (even on dry or wet roads when it's cold) I think they should be obligatory in winter. I've always been amazed that the safety conscious UK hasn't already enforced this.

Nick

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i agree - im getting a spare set of winter tyres if i don't buy a second car before the summer... i think i may get a new bmw... craving RWD again so will keep the trophy for the weekend b road blast.