Reaction score
Hi Guys

No 142 is 5 years old in August, as you will all be aware, it is due the cam belt service :(

Few questions - I had the aux belt changed in October 2008 (car was on just under 36k) The car is now on 48700 ish so will not reach 72k before the 5 year cam belt change.

When does the aux belt need changing again, is it 5 years / every 36k (as per service handbook) or is it every 3 years / 36k? (if its the latter, then it will be due in Oct 2011 or on 72k, correct?)

Renault tried to tell me the plugs needed changing too, even though they arent due until 72k (no mention of 5 yers in hand book)

Is it recommended that i get the aux belt changed again while its getting the cam belt done or not?

Sorry if this is long winded, just a bit confused.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Reaction score
Defo change the aux belt/kit when changing cam belt. Might want to consider changing the water pump also.

Plugs, for what they cost you might as well.

Reaction score
Ok. So if I change the aux with the cam belt, when will they all need changing again?

Renault want silly money to do the service so I'm going to get some prices for parts etc and check with a local reputable Motorsports company how much they would charge to fit. They quoted £450 to supply and fit the complete cam belt kit. Do you think that's reasonable or not?

Reaction score
If you get them done together now, then the aux belt needs replacing again in 3yrs or 36k miles.

£450 is a good price. I bet this does not include the water pump which I think will add ~£145.

Reaction score
I must have missed some discussions somewhere, but can someone please tell me why many people are suggesting it's necessary to change the water pump please? - is this official Renault guidelines or something that has been found to be generally faulty around this age...?

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
I must have missed some discussions somewhere, but can someone please tell me why many people are suggesting it's necessary to change the water pump please? - is this official Renault guidelines or something that has been found to be generally faulty around this age...?

I have no idea on the Renault guidelines but this is my experience...

My mates 182 (late 2004) water pump failed just over a month ago and also I just had the belts and water pump done on my T and the garage showed me the old water pump when I picked the car up which had all the signs that it was about to fail.

Cost me around 100 quid extra to get the pump changed - IMO this is well worth it!

Rich

Reaction score
Trophy No.
There has been no discussion and as far as I can recall not that many recommending the pump being sorted at the same time. But there has also not been an explanation as to why or what "all the signs that it was about to fail" are.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I suppose people would change it incase the tension of the new cambelt puts more load on the pump and it breaks.

Reaction score
Hmmm, it appears not to be a 'cut and dry' matter. What would the resultant signs be if the water pump were to fail? - overheating?

I guess it's ultimately a question to pose to the garage for an opinion, come service time.

Richjones - what sort of mileage had your T covered at the time you had the pump changed?

Does anyone know how difficult it is to change the pump?

Reaction score
Places can be found to do the whole job for under £500- Northwest Performance in Northwich, Cheshire for one, i think he charges £470 all in, including a service and parts

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
Richjones - what sort of mileage had your T covered at the time you had the pump changed?

My T has only done 33k. Overheating was not a sign and my car had not lost any coolant.

The garage pointed out that the pump had a build up of a cooland residue on the outside. I am no mechanic - so not sure how true this is but he said that is a sign that it is on the way out and that if I had not had chosen to replace it when booking it in he would have phoned me up to advise that I did.

He is also the same guy that fixed my mates failed pump a couple of weeks before hand. I was getting the water pump done anyway so I can't see why he would put give me any bullsh!t.

I am only going on his opinion. However, there are many people over on CS that claim clio water pumps are very reliable and do not normally need changing.

Perhap my mate was just unlucky :?

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks rich- interesting to hear that your mileage is roughly the same as mine; not especially high.. I'm no mechanic either.. I'll have to ask someone that is, as to the likely causes of failure.

Ultimately, to everyone else, you could replace it (even if it didn't need it) because it's accessible at this point. However, the same could be said about other things. Clearly it's going to be a pain if it fails at a later stage, I'm uNdecided as to whether or not I'm prepared to accept running this risk- mine's due the cambelt change in the next month or so. I'll most likely take the advice of whichever garage I take it to.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I will get everything changed in one go (aux belt kit, cam belt kit and water pump) ktec have all parts available for about £360! Just dreading the labour costs! Any one got any suggestions who would fit it all for a reasonable cost. I'm in the north east.

Regards

Chris