Reaction score
i'm finding quite often when i set off that the handbrake has seized over the last few days. it's not a huge problem, theres just a crack as it unsticks then it seems to be fine. although i think sometimes there is a bit of a grinding through the brakes - perhaps there have been small deposits of pad left on the rear discs? Is this a common problem, I haven't seen anyone else mention it?

Reaction score
Sometimes if it has been raining overnight, I get a loud clunk from the rear brakes as they un-seize themselves...not had any issues with the handbrake itself though.

Reaction score
same thing then - im assuming its than handbrake since it has been left on at the time

Reaction score
Mine does exactly the same, especially if it has rained overnight and the discs have got light surface rust. I guess that the grinding is just the rust being rubbed off.

Reaction score
Same here as well. Small unsticking-type clunk when pulling away and thats it. I seem to remember it in my last clio as well come to think of it. That was a 1.8 16V. Perhaps its a Renault 'feature'

Reaction score
cant be too good for the pads or the discs, i might start leaving it in gear instead

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Its not the handbrake sticking as such. when parked with the handbrake on, obviousley they are in contact with the disc - as opposed to front having a clearance. On a moist night surface rust forms around the pad so when you release handbrake and drive of it 'clunks' as the bond breaks. Its normal so don't worry. you will get an accompanying grinding sound first few times you apply brakes as the pad wears the surface rust off the disk - again normal and nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
yup i know, but some cars have a seperate handbrake caliper (dont know if the clio is one of these) which is the one that sticks. anyway, thanks for the reassurance,