Reaction score
Pretty much this, when they've failed I send them for a rebuild! My last one from BG Motorsport lasted 30,000 miles ish! Some guys have only managed 8,000 ,depends on condition and how you drive I think!

And what are symptoms of failed dampers?

Mine have around 18641 miles and before I sold my 2004 I didn't feel anything wrong with them
I installed them on april 2009 and uninstalled on may 2013
I used my car to go on track by motorway and not very often to go to work

Reaction score
I'd set it to standard ( 22 clicks from soft ? ) and see if theres any bounce, if there is its a good sign they've lost gas pressure, may be worth getting them regassed ( nitrogen @ 65psi )

Reaction score
Check the gas pressure using a tyre pressure gauge on the valve and if its low get them gassed up and see how well they hold it, if they've not lost any oil they might be OK for a bit longer but chances are if its lost alot of pressure the seals will be failing / failed so will be worth getting rebuilt!

Reaction score
got my dampers back from BG a couple of days ago, good service and friendly knowledgeable staff, looking forward to getting them on!

Reaction score
I think my near side damper has failed again. They were refurbed by BG 3 years ago. I think I'll be putting 182 Cup dampers on for a bit whilst I decide what to do next. My Trophy is one owner from new and I think I'll be keeping it. It's my daily drive and the business park where I work has loads of speed bumps which probably doesn't help. Has anybody else swapped back to 182 Cup dampers ?

Reaction score
I used them for 6 months and they're perfectly fine for every day driving. Bit softer and more comfortable over speed humps and bumps, not as sharp obviously but no problems in my opinion.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi
do you still over haul the front shocks??

yeah, the seals go every now and again. Unlike normal road dampers, they were designed to be serviceable as they are motorsport dampers - BTCC teams generally serviced them after every race meet but for road use most don't get done until the seals have broken down.

Reaction score
Mine currently need doing. Noticed the car skipping the nearside wheel on quicker left hand bends. Having contacted both Cornering Force and BG I can't believe the price difference between the two companies, safe to say I know who I'll be sending mine too.

Reaction score
mine aint going to be long!
what is the price difference?

Reaction score
What a git, o/s has given up on me, so will be refurbing v soon.
Like many I will be replacing with cup dampers for the mean time and will keep them on for the winter.
Now this may sound silly, but if I have them refurbed and leave them off the car for the next 5 months, would they seize up or not work as well come April down to non-use so to speak?
Also, are CF refurbs holding up as expected to those who have used them??
Thanks in advance
Luke

Reaction score
What a git, o/s has given up on me, so will be refurbing v soon.
Like many I will be replacing with cup dampers for the mean time and will keep them on for the winter.
Now this may sound silly, but if I have them refurbed and leave them off the car for the next 5 months, would they seize up or not work as well come April down to non-use so to speak?
Also, are CF refurbs holding up as expected to those who have used them??
Thanks in advance
Luke

Hi Luke, I just purchased a new set of the twingo r1 dampers but I'm going to do the same thing as you and put cup dampers on over the winter. I'm also planning on using "sachsdoms" on the new dampers when I do swap them over. Don't know if it'll work but it has to be worth trying to prolong their life.

haz

Reaction score
Well Ive just been quote the following for my sachs dampers to be rebuilt:

£430inc for basic service - includes disassembling the damper, checking the internal valves, replacing the rod guides, sliding seals and o-rings with genuine Sachs parts, fresh Sachs oil, a dual seal gas cap upgrade to replace the original Sachs item, re-gas with nitrogen and a dyno check to ensure they are performing correctly and both dampers are closely matched

£120inc for each piston rod (if needed)

£120inc for each sachs damper adjusters (optional)

£216inc to replace to remove and replace the dampers once service

Is it just me or is this stupidly expensive? Surely I could buy some brand new coilovers for this (Koni adju)!!

Let me know you're thoughts...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Go for it, buy some new ones for less than the refurbishment. It's your cash, if you think it's too much to pay then don't pay it.

I happily paid a sum of money to have mine refurbished and have been very pleased with the results for over 2 years.

Reaction score
Haz I hope someone didn't tell you Trophy ownership was cheap before you bought one! personally I think the Sachs is what makes the car special and they will certainly help it hold some of its value.

I take it that was BG motorsport! if you want a cheaper re-furb use Cornering Force although it takes longer.