Reaction score
Very interesting thread. Thanks to all who've contributed.

Mine are going off to Cornering Force shortly, just need to sort out the MOT on the 2nd car.

Reaction score
@Power Ranger;
Hi mate tried to PM you but its not working for some reason. I'm interested in buying the dampers off you if you still want to sell them?
PM me and i will reply (hopefully it will work) and we will take it from there.
Thanks, steff
p.s thanks for the thread guys, very informative!

Reaction score
@Power Ranger;
Hi mate tried to PM you but its not working for some reason. I'm interested in buying the dampers off you if you still want to sell them?
PM me and i will reply (hopefully it will work) and we will take it from there.
Thanks, steff
p.s thanks for the thread guys, very informative!
Hi Steff replied to your Pm. Gareth

Reaction score
got my dampers done at bg in spring 2012.the passenger one failed after a few hundred miles and had to get sent back to get fixed.

the cars now done around 1000 miles since and thought something wasnt right......the drivers side has failed now aswell !

so around 9 months and 1500 miles and both have failed. cant believe it ! :(

will have to get on the phone in the morning.

Reaction score
Both dampers back from bg.

happy with the service from them and getting them redone free after them unfortunately having faulty valves in the reservoirs.

now have twin seal valves in both which ben said hes not had a failure yet on them.

Reaction score
Just to let you know steve, i've had the exact same problem so you're not on you're own, and mine are in the post back to them as i type! The problem has been out of Ben's hands, but has come up with his own solution to try and stop this problem from Sach's dodgy part!

Reaction score
hi,yeah ben said something like he designed these new twin seal valves that they put in them now and they have had a few failures of the older style ones.

its unfortunate for both bg and the customers this problems happened but hopefully there wasnt too many serviced with this dodgy batch.

Reaction score
So it turns out my failed damper was not due to a cracked valve cap. He's pressurized it and no gas is escaping. Joy. So christ knows how that's happened and Ben is rather confused. So i'm having the new design of cap fitted to that one, re-gassed and bled and tested against the other damper and sent back. Hopefully last longer than sixth months or else I'll have to get new items coz i'm rather fed up!

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see in dampers refurbished by Cornering Force will suffer the same issues.

Reaction score
Well he was a good lad. After checking the damper over with still no idea how it lost pressure, he fitted the new cap, don't think both sides have been replaced as there wasn't anything wrong with that one. 50% off labour and parts, plus postage it's cost me £150. From memory a standard refurb is about £400 - £500 depending if you want new adjusters.

I asked whether he thought there was anything terminal with the damper that lost gas, he said that he'd been working with them for a long time and they don't just fail permanently without receiving damage. If it loses pressure then it'll be able to be repaired. The new caps have a different type of valve, not schrader btw.

Reaction score
Well despite me having my dampers refurbed with new shafts last May it appears that they have failed again!! I shall be calling BG today but has anybody else suffered this and have the been refurbed again FOC by BG?

Reaction score
Sam did you not read my posts!? lol, If it's the gas caps at fault again then yes he will do it free. Don't know why mine lost gas for a second time but charged me just £150 to replace the old design caps for his new ones. He said the Sachs rep was down just a few weeks ago and he showed him mine to try and explain all these dampers coming back to him after failing in no time after a refurb. He's not happy with the caps Sachs are providing obviously. Bizarrely and unfortunately, when put on show, mine did not leak after re-pressurizing and submersing after taking them out the box i sent them in. Mine showed no signs of a cracked cap and yet still lost pressure, hence the reason i had to pay. ho hum.

Reaction score
Ha I did just wanted to double check LOL!

I spoke to him yesterday and yes he said it is most likely the gas cap as it was refurbed at the time when there has been a few failures.

Just so we are clear, gas cap is on the bottom of the reservoir?

Reaction score
Yeah that's it mate, when i pop out to the garage i'll take a pic of the new caps and put it up. Has a new type valve fitted. Pain in the buttocks eh. However, i've fitted a set of 182 cup dampers, and they are perfectly fine, so if you need the car, get them. I'm leaving them on there for the time being, bit softer ride and nowhere near as sharp turning in and rebounding on the bumps, but certainly not a problem. Quite nice being a bit more comfortable!

SoS

Reaction score
Has anyone used Cooksport for a refurb? I have a spare set, although I live fairly close to BG I am thinking of sending to Cornering Force as the prices seem more realistic, however if Cooksport is an option it would be something to investigate.