MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Mines are getting insured for a serious amount of cash, Prob enough that if they do go missing i will be bale to buy a new set.
There is no way im chancing anything as i have had loads of bits and bobs go missing in the mail.

Reaction score
Got my refurbed dampers back from Cornering Force this morning and are now fitted :)
I have had several conversations with Simon there who is a very knowledgable and helpful guy - I urge anyone thinking of having them done to ask him.
Interestingly, mine have been returned with the damping equal on either side, but with the number of 'clicks' 22 on one, and 18 on the other. I have been told this is very common and that no 2 dampers are 100% equal. There are several quirks and some maintanence details I have learned which I shall put together in a different post.
I can reccomend the blasting and anodising though as they do come back very neat and tidy !
https://twitter.com/i/#!/Rob_Clark/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com/dzSPZYdo

Reaction score
^ awesome!! does anyone know where you can buy the rubber gaiters for the front sachs??!

cheers stef

Reaction score
Just spoke to Simon and mine will be in the post this afternoon so shall tell on the arrival, I to have gone for the sand blasting and anodising along wiyth de pinned.

Reaction score
Good choice :) power coating looks really good, puts my wheelarch to shame !
20121117_102324.jpg

Reaction score
Hi there

i'm the lucky guy at Cornering Force thats been doing your dampers... :)

So thanks very much for your business and i hope its all working out for you.

i thought i'd just make a few general points to help keep them working properly as long as possible.

firstly the think that is going to be the biggest problem in the long term is corrosion through the spring platform where it is welded onto the damper body (this is a moisture trap) and corrosion of the aluminium valve body (with the red adjuster knob on). i suggest you give the dampers a really good blast with a jet washer when you wash the car esp through the worse of the winter and give esp these bits a little squirt of WD40 and a wipe with a cloth.

Also they have all been losing gas pressure which is why you have noticed the loss in performance - they have usually lost some oil but mainly its the gas pressure problem. the schrader valves on the bottom of the canister are all loctited solid which is why i have to replace them with new so you couldnt have refilled them yourselves. i have NOT loctited them when i rebuild them and i suggest that you check the pressure periodically (once a year?) and then top them up to about 65psi using a mountain bike damper pump (c£20 from Halfords).

As they get older then other bits may need replacing - these will be expensive from Sachs but can probably be re-manufactured if they prove to be prohibitive.

if you have any questions please do drop me an email.

Best wishes

Simon

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and advice Simon, it's very much appreciated. I'm sure that if and when my shocks need refurbishing I will be calling upon your services. (hopefully not too soon I recently had brand new replacements!)

Reaction score
Wow! :) soooo glad I've just read all this.
Just need to get a pair of 182 shocks as gotta keep
the car on the road.
Just need a bit of advise if poss guys?
Someone has previously said that the shocks have
to be for a cup? Have seen some on EBay that state
"182 cup pack" So will these do the job?
many thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
182 Cup dampers are the ones you want, they should have 60mm bolt spacing.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Simon, interesting read that and a few details that weren't previously known. Really good to have you "on board" as it were.

just a small request. Is there any chance of a better colour match for the respray service?