Reaction score
Mines not leaking oil but had lost gas pressure you can tell this my pushing down on each wing occurs firm then gas pressure is okay if it bounces then it's due a refurb the difference from firm to bouncy is obvious.
As a rough guide ppl say they should be refurbed around 50k if no ovious signs before hand.
This is a response from Ben at BG you may find useful:

If you say you can feel a difference between the sides then it sounds definite that they are due for a rebuild. As for the 5mm gap on the reservoir tube, although if you loose this gap then this is a definite sign that they need doing, it doesn’t necessarily mean that if the gap is present the dampers are working correctly as quite often they don’t show any external signs of failure.

At present we are only open Mon to Fri as we are a trade based company, so it would have to be during the week. To drop the car here on a morning and pick it up the following afternoon (Only when pre- booked with the workshop.) costs around £520 (Plus VAT). Also, as an option we are able to supply an adjuster upgrade. This means that we exchange the standard compression adjusters that are pinned in place at the factory for new working ones to allow you to control the amount of damping on the car. This works out to £40 (Per side plus VAT).

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Helpful tip :-

For removing the strut top nuts, I found that a swan/drop necked 21mm ring spanner was much easier to get inside the top mounts. This is helpful if you don't have air tools because you can still get at the 6mm Allen key hole to keep the centre shaft from rotating.

Reaction score
Have sent mine off to BG for a rebuild, they've been very helpful so far. Did cost me £50 in postage to send them though, insured for only £500 :shock:

Reaction score
Ooo, good stuff, doing this job on sunday. Got a swan necked 21mm spanner, going to buy a Clarke 12volt impact wrench that are very good btw. Eek for the postage! Mine should be with him next Tuesday! Let me know how you go, you getting a new adjustable adjuster fitted?

Reaction score
Removed front and rear dampers and springs today. Had a mate helping which was a big help. Bought a 12volt impact wrench from machine mart...which refused to function, but fortunately didn't need it, the 21mm spanner with a 19mm spanner joined to the end so to speak, and allen key socket piece in a 5/8ths ratchet, the two of us got the top nut undone without much fuss. Must say that removal was very straight forward with no complications :D

Reaction score
For those who posted/couriered their dampers to BG, can you recall what weight was of the two dampers together?

Cheers Ollie

Reaction score
11.5kg as someone told me on here and they were bloomin right! I put 12kg to allow for loads of bubble wrap!

Reaction score
I've got mine as 13kg's boxed up.

Has anyone managed to find anywhere that wont rape you for £3k's insurance on the dampers. Best I can find is £1000 for £20.

£30 in total to send them couriered next day with that 1k insurance. A bit worried its so little :|

Reaction score
How can I tell if my dampers have been unpinned? Had them serviced with BG about 2 years ago and dont remember being asked about the option to change the adjuster. Tried to turn the adjuster but it does not move, so guess they are still pinned.

Is the ride quality improved to a noticeable level if you set them as soft as they go?

Cheers

Reaction score
Has anyone recently had their dampners rebuilt by BG motorsport and can give me a price for them. Looking into buying a Trophy but this is one of those expenses I'll have to add onto the price of the car!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Prices seem to vary dramatically depending on the state of the damper - budget for around £250 per damper and I don't think you'll be far off.

Reaction score
I had mine done last month. Bill was just shy of £700, I piston was scored so it was replaced. I had mine unpinned as well.

is1

Reaction score
Mikey G said:
Matt @stealthsport emailed me last year and quoted £400 for the refurb.

I don't think he is doing that any more. Disappeared off the scene by all accounts.
On a related but separate issue, I find it incredible that this community of owners has not been able to find another expert who can rebuild these dampers at a lesser cost. I am sure there are people who can do it.
I think somebody posted this link a while back, may be worth a try: http://www.aurok.com/suspension.html

Reaction score
I don't think aurok have ever been on here. People have used them for alignment and Matt said he had an exclusive agreement with them to do rebuilds a while back. There was someone else mentioned on here too that does them cheaper than BG. I'll have a look.

Reaction score
From page 17...

Raceline Suspension, Unit 7, Arnhem Road, Bone Lane Industrial Area, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5RU
Paul Drake - 07759 438510