Reaction score
eljeffo64 said:
SD, in an earlier post you quoted a price for Gould, if they now don't refurb them and you are relying on the word of the prev owner, how do you know it's correct, and thus cheaper than BG ??

p.s. bummer about your spare box!!

Right, just rang Gould to find out.

The suspension was most likely refurbed by chap called Paul Drake who runs Raceline Suspension & rents space in their workshop, he is an authorised Koni repair centre & all round suspension guru. It was him that did my refurb apparently.

Contact Details are:

Raceline Suspension, Unit 7, Arnhem Road, Bone Lane Industrial Area, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5RU
Paul Drake - 07759 438510

Reaction score
zim1 said:
There is a full suspension set on Ebay at the moment , does anybody know if these will fit directly on to a standard phase 2 172 please? He's asking £400 , does that seem right ? Thanks

They won't fit unfortunately. The bolt spacing on struts/hub on the standard 172 are 56mm, the Trophy/Cup are 60mm.

Reaction score
Sir_Dave said:
eljeffo64 said:
SD, in an earlier post you quoted a price for Gould, if they now don't refurb them and you are relying on the word of the prev owner, how do you know it's correct, and thus cheaper than BG ??

p.s. bummer about your spare box!!

Right, just rang Gould to find out.

The suspension was most likely refurbed by chap called Paul Drake who runs Raceline Suspension & rents space in their workshop, he is an authorised Koni repair centre & all round suspension guru. It was him that did my refurb apparently.

Contact Details are:

Raceline Suspension, Unit 7, Arnhem Road, Bone Lane Industrial Area, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5RU
Paul Drake - 07759 438510

SD, now that is very useful info :)

J

Reaction score
Jonc said:
zim1 said:
There is a full suspension set on Ebay at the moment , does anybody know if these will fit directly on to a standard phase 2 172 please? He's asking £400 , does that seem right ? Thanks

They won't fit unfortunately. The bolt spacing on struts/hub on the standard 172 are 56mm, the Trophy/Cup are 60mm.
Thanks for the info , much appreciated , I am giving my 172 a revamp as oppose to selling her because her value is ludicrously low nowadays and Ive had her from new and changed the oil every 3k ! and she's NEVER missed a beat!

Do you happen to know what is required to fit the 182 alloys to the 172 please?

Reaction score
I got my suspension refurbed through matt wills, the comapany he used was this one http://www.aurok.com
I wondered where Matt had gone, seemed to disappear off the face of the earth? He hasnt replied to a few of my emails..

Reaction score
I've just had my done through Ben @ BG Motorsport, superb service even though I suspect it's a bit more expensive than some of the other Companies I've seen mentioned on here that offer the service (paid £420).

Looking forward to getting them back on the car now to go with the four new PS3s and new ball joints.

:D

Reaction score
Ive used Bg before but want to try some one else too just to see what other services are like also prices , Id like to here back from sam soonish 8)

Reaction score
Haha sorry! I paid £375 through matt so I would probably expect to pay less than that if you went direct?

Reaction score
Booked the T in today for the 15th with BG Motorsport for a rebuild, considering the adjustable option and the Eibach Sportline springs, does anyone have experience is the upgrade worth it?

Reaction score
p55dud said:
Booked the T in today for the 15th with BG Motorsport for a rebuild, considering the adjustable option and the Eibach Sportline springs, does anyone have experience is the upgrade worth it?

+1 on that question getting mine refurbed soon and looking into what if any upgrades would suit me.

Reaction score
Adam Trophy 37 said:
p55dud said:

+1 on that question getting mine refurbed soon and looking into what if any upgrades would suit me.

+2 im thinking or maybe leave it the standard ride height and go with the whiteline anti roll bar, solid top mounts and powerflex poly bushes

Reaction score
Just got mine back from BG motorsport, awesome service from them. Ben was very friendly and kept me informed on the progress and explained everything they did even down to the fact that the new adjusters are slighly different and that the original settings are at 20 clicks now from soft :)

Reaction score
Glad to hear mine will be goin off soon, obviously u had adjuster upgrade, did u have new springs fitted ? How much did it cost and how long did it take to turn around ?

Cheers

Reaction score
Got new springs at home waiting to be fitted once I've painted the dampers. Would have been around £500 but one of the shafts was slightly scored, Ben said he'd cleaned it up but couldn't guarantee how long seals would last then so got new shaft fitted which with delivery pushed it up to £650 total. Called them on the Wednesday, booked in for the following Monday and got them back yesterday :)

Reaction score
Using bilt-hamber hydrate 80 on the rust then hammerite smooth silver, apparently it's a close match to the original colour, I'll let you know how close on monday :)

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Been reading this topic the last few days and keeping an eye on it and the progress of people's dampers!

I have a few question for the people that have used BG to have there front dampers done.

1, How do you know when it's time to have them refurbished ?
2, Why get them done it they are not leaking ?
3, How long does this refurb take if I was to drive from Edinburgh to BG?
( would I need need to leave the car )
4, I have had my dampers looked at by 2 Renault RTEs and they say mine are fine but can someone recommend at what milage I should be looking out for leaks and things ?

My car is on around 53k and has not been on a track to my knowledge and I know the past 2 owners also.

Reaction score
1. In my case one was weeping oil out of the base of the resevoir. Also it didn't feel right (difficult to tell if you haven't own the car long)
2. If they're not leaking they are most likely ok. Although they could loose gas pressure that might not be evident from visual inspections.
3. It took them little over a day to do mine but I sent them to them off the car. Give them a call, they're very friendly and helpful.
4. From what I know and read on here there are no relationship between milage/age/use as to when they'll need a refurbishment