nby

Reaction score
marrow said:
Excellent - which company are you using?

I will let you guys know as soon as mine are sorted so that I can confirm the price as I have been told it "should" be no more than £60-80 so no guarantees at present!! :^o .

If it turns out to be true than what can I say other than :eek: & :shock:

Reaction score
I've had my trophy for almost a year now and it's only just turned 24,000 on the clock. Had a M.O.T the other day at my mates garage and it seems the front offside strut has started weeping and now seems to be clonking over every bump so think I'm going to have to send them off for a service :( ! My mates had to have his Sachs struts serviced on his Trophy at around the same mileage! I'm quite surprised there in need of a service so soon would have expected a lot more mileage out of them especially under normal driving conditions!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
it's not really mileage that kills them - it's the state of the roads, salting roads during winter eats at the seals - once the seal has gone, the oil/gas can go leaving the unit in need of refurbishment.

nby

Reaction score
Cue said:
it's not really mileage that kills them - it's the state of the roads, salting roads during winter eats at the seals - once the seal has gone, the oil/gas can go leaving the unit in need of refurbishment.

I agree Cue as my trophy is proof that mileage cannot be used as an indication as to when they need re-sealing and gassing, from checking through the history the dampers on my car are original from factory and have not been refurbished/replaced and they have lasted 165k!!

Reaction score
Sent mine off today for a service! Considering whether to do the strut tops at the same time as I already doing my lower ball joints. Will also need the toe in and camber bolts setting up again and then a set of new tires as well as insurance this month! Ouch! Looking forward to getting No. 25 back to its best!

P.S. Is it possible to get the ball joint bolts from Renault as they look a little worse for wear!?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
no - they will try to sell you the whole lower wishbone, give mark fish a buzz - he does just the ball joints.

Reaction score
Cue said:
no - they will try to sell you the whole lower wishbone, give mark fish a buzz - he does just the ball joints.

I have managed to get the ball joints separately, just considering replacing the nut and bolt that attaches the joint to the rod as they look well rusted!

Reaction score
Does anyone have a guide to re-installation of dampers? Torque settings and the likes?

Reaction score
Had an mot a week ago, and have been told the news that my front left shock has supposedly sprung a leak. Will they need a full rebuild?.....Can someone just sum up quickly for me the rough cost, who to go to and if i need a full rebuild or something smaller? Im guessing i might aswell do the other side which is fine at the same time?

Thanks Andy

On a funnier note, realised that one of my black plasitc exhaust trims had fallen off, went into renault thinking 'cant be more than a tenner each' £26ish!!!!! Me and the renault guy had a little chuckle together

Reaction score
Trophy No.
drexel said:
' £26ish!!!!! Me and the renault guy had a little chuckle together, and then I punched him in the face for taking the p*ss

Good man.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Was there any outcome to this?

Many Thanks

nby said:
marrow said:

I will let you guys know as soon as mine are sorted so that I can confirm the price as I have been told it "should" be no more than £60-80 so no guarantees at present!! :^o .

Reaction score
With regard to fitting, just a case of wiggling them into place, align the hub carrier bolt holes, put the bolts in, torque to 180Nm, then screw the upper top mount on as far as it will go

Reaction score
Ive been in touch with Sachs and they said they do not know of anywhere that can referb the dampers in the UK, other than the obvious.
They said i could send them to the US or Germany to one of the Sachs Motorsport places and they would referb them, :lol: , didnt say a price though. Its bad enough having to send them within our country never mind abroad.
He also said they were a 1 off production damper made for the Trophy.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
not sure that's true - i've been told by Seat motosport people that they used the same units on their '08 BTCC cars.

nby

Reaction score
bearne1 said:
Was there any outcome to this?

Many Thanks

nby said:
marrow said:

the outcome is its a bloody nightmare getting people to do things on the cheap, they are still awaiting delivery of the custom seals and I cant get hold of them on the phone argh! was hoping to get the trophy up and running next week... looks like another week waiting around :cry:

bg may be expensive but atleast they have a quick turn around!

nby

Reaction score
Cue said:
not sure that's true - i've been told by Seat motosport people that they used the same units on their '08 BTCC cars.

I have also been told that "They look almost identical to the Porsche Carrera Cup dampers from about 3 years ago." if thats of any help (doubtful).