MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Best thing to do is call Renault UK and keep calling and don't give up till you get an answer.

If you don't get anything back from them e-mail this man

Renault Uk

Thierry Sybord

- thierry.sybord@renault.com

Reaction score
I have new genuine Cup dampers for sale, used for all of 50 miles if that!! (with receipt)

Had ordered new dampers and read it could take a while hence the Cup dampers but in the end I had mine refurbished.

Reaction score
Got my dampers done mid march from bg motorsport.I have the receipt for £466 for them.Hardly use the car,only dry weekends and hasnt done 1000 miles and thats the passenger one knackered.

The reservoir can move all over the place.up and down,side to side.

Will be phoning them tommorrow about it.

Really dissapointed to say the least !

Reaction score
Gas cpa has probably cracked mate. Happened to me and another lad. Mine were done august last year and lasted about 4k, your gas caps were probably from the same batch as mine. Thankfully they rebuilt both of them FOC.

Reaction score
I remember my external reservoir moving a bit side to side, but the casing never moved around.

What are the piston rods like? Was one softer than the other before removing them?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
That seems about normal for the thrust bearing though you may have a little more play on the donut than on my spare set (23k)

Reaction score
Well I emailed Sachs at technical-service.zre@zf.com to find out whether they are still producing the dampers and here's the reply:

We have produced only one batch of dampers by the production of the Trophy car in 2005.

So I hope Renault has still dampers available.
Maybe you should contact Renault Sport in France directly.
An other possibility would be to contact a Renault dealer in Switzerland, because most of the cars have been sold in the UK or Switzerland.

Otherwise, depending of the conditions of your damper, we can maybe repair it.
If you don’t get any reply from Renault Sport, please send the damper back to us to Schweinfurt or to our UK Service partner:

Ben Fricker.
Damper Tech.

BG MOTORSPORT.
47- 48 Silverstone Circuit,
Silverstone,
Northants,
NN12 8GZ
+44 (0) 1327 855 200
+44 (0) 1327 855 201
dampers@bgmotorsport.co.uk

Best regards

Olivier Lardon

So it doesn't look like they are making them anymore :( Any questions anyone wants me to put to this guy before I conclude this and thank him for the info?

Reaction score
This is the reply I got with regards to them doing the refurb:

[FONT=&amp]All our service partners worldwide listed in our Website or catalogues are able to service the front dampers (No service is possible on the rear dampers).[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]All our service partners worldwide listed in our Website or catalogues are able to service the front dampers (No service is possible on the rear dampers).[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The cost are depending of the conditions of your dampers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I would estimate the price by 220,-€ without Taxes per damper by replacing the guides, seals, shimings and oil. Extra damaged part like the piston rod will be charged extra.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Of course, we or Renault can not offer you any guarantee on the damper after having open them.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Maybe, you can also ask by Renault Sport or UK to get dampers from the Renault Twingo R1.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]They are the same dampers like the Clio Trophy, except also here you will not have a guarantee for a use on the street.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Best regards[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Olivier Lardon[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The cost are depending of the conditions of your dampers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]I would estimate the price by 220,-€ without Taxes per damper by replacing the guides, seals, shimings and oil. Extra damaged part like the piston rod will be charged extra.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Of course, we or Renault can not offer you any guarantee on the damper after having open them.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Maybe, you can also ask by Renault Sport or UK to get dampers from the Renault Twingo R1.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]They are the same dampers like the Clio Trophy, except also here you will not have a guarantee for a use on the street.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Best regards[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Olivier Lardon[/FONT]

Reaction score
I'm just about to buy a trophy which needs a damper rebuild. Is there really only one place to get them done (BG)?

Reaction score
UPDATE:
Just got off the phone with Renault UK and told them that Sachs are no longer producing these dampers. He said that this should not be the case as under European Law, manufacturers have to provide car parts for up to 8 years, ie the Sachs need to keep producing spares until September next year. So if by law they have to keep producing the dampers until next year, it offers a glimmer of hope that I can have new dampers +12 months Renault warranty.

Reaction score
UPDATE:
Just got off the phone with Renault UK and told them that Sachs are no longer producing these dampers. He said that this should not be the case as under European Law, manufacturers have to provide car parts for up to 8 years, ie the Sachs need to keep producing spares until September next year. So if by law they have to keep producing the dampers until next year, it offers a glimmer of hope that I can have new dampers +12 months Renault warranty.

If they can't provide the parts (which is what happened with my TV recently - got a nice cheque from Toshiba) they should offer compensation.