Reaction score
As per subject, I'm interested in any standard steering wheel that is no longer being used due to it being burst, rough, falling apart etc as I've had a quote to get a steering wheel recovered to my specification by http://www.gibsontrimming.com/ and would rather have a spare wheel to do this to than take off my wheel while it gets done.

For anyone interested I got quoted £175 to get wheel recovered in high quality leather either grained or smooth, removing those plastic bits but retaining same shape, with thick red stitching and a little red band at top centre of steering wheel. It takes 8-10 hours of work to do a steering wheel, and some examples can be found on the website above.

For an additional £50 IIRC they can do a matching gear surround which I am considering, this take about 2hours to do.

Aaron.

Reaction score
Useful info, though mine seems to be bearing up quite well at the moment.

Really don't like what they've done to the 5GTT but fortunately more and more seem to be being put back to original.

Reaction score
Having owned 2 R5GTT's, I find it crazy that the steering wheel was so well made on those cars, yet the steering wheels are so poor on the Clio's.

I actually found a R5GTT steering wheel last Christmas in the loft of my flat in Glasgow when I was home which i forgot I had, sold it on ebay to a very happy owner, it was mint, had been sat there for about 7 years!

But it is good that many are being returned to standard, I very nearly bought my last one back a 1990 Tungsten Grey with only 107K miles on it near FSH about 2 1/2 years ago when it came up for sale, it still was prety much standard looking apart from some 15" TSW Alpine 5 spoke wheels and a big brake kit, IIRC something like R21 discs with spacers to move standard callipers out, worked and looked really good.

It also had some period GT Tuning parts, incar adjustable boost, flowed lobster back inlet thing, ram pipe thing inside a Green Cotton filter in original postion, Mongoose s/s exhaust still going strong after 11years!!! Richbrook gearknob & door lock buttons, Sparco pedal covers, and a lovely MOMO steering wheel that really suited the car, looked OEM.

Though came up at worng time as was buying a new house, ended up in Cornwall I believe.

Reaction score
Could you keep me posted on this j333evo if you don't mind. :)

There are a few steering wheels on ebay now.

Reaction score
keith185 said:
Could you keep me posted on this j333evo if you don't mind. :)

There are a few steering wheels on ebay now.

Yeah will do, I managed to get a correct 182/trophy steering wheel for £30 off ebay which is rough so once I receive it I'll send it off to get done with my gear gaitor and show the results. The wheel doesn't have the Renault Sport badge on it as its been removed, can these be bought new, can't imagine it oul dcost much as would rather then sell my own wheel on complete, ie without having to remove its badge.

Still not decided on a smooth or grained leather for wheel, the integrale has a OEM smooth MOMO wheel, the FTO has a OEM smooth MOMO wheel, but have I think the 500 Abarth is grained and very nice, decisions decisions. :roll: