Reaction score
Hi all,

When driving my clio 182 recently iv noticed that the clutch has become very rough to push down. Not smoove at all. I thought nothing of it at first but its been going on for a little while so i thought id check out what the problem was. I had someone sit in the car and push the clutch pedal whilst i looked in the engine bay. I could see at the front of the engine bay underneath the engine the clutch cable pullin what i beleave to be called the clutch release arm. Where the arm is pivoting, where it is connected to the clutch, is where i beleave the roughness is coming from.

I was thinking that it must just need lubricating, but maybe it could be something more serious. Has anyone else had this problem? If so can you suggest any lubricant, or is it not that simple to fix?

Thanks

Just had a play around this morning. Went out and lifted the bonnet. Sat in the car and pressed the clutch which was completely smove. Seemed totally normal so i thought id go for a drive. After 3 - 5 minutes the engine had warmed up and the clutch was still fine. 20 mins later all seemed well. 30 minutes later i noticed a bit of roughness bringing the clutch up. 40 minutes later both up and down movements of the clutch pedal were rough and notchy, but clutch operation felt normal. Got back home and lifted the bonnect. Clutch arm makes unlubed, creaking sound. Im gonna let it cool down and then go out and see what its like.

Has no one else experenced anything like this before? Any advice or personnel experence would help greatly. Sorry for the essay.

Reaction score
Had my clutch creaking during track days and long runs.

Only just had cable replaced after 18 months or so of creaking :oops: Used to re grease/lubricate it with white lithium grease spray.

Reaction score
keith185 said:
Had my clutch creaking during track days and long runs.

Only just had cable replaced after 18 months or so of creaking :oops: Used to re grease/lubricate it with white lithium grease spray.

That sounds like my problem. Did having the clutch cable replaced stop the creaking?

Hopefully it is the cable and not the arm. Changing the arm is a clutch out the car job.