Reaction score
Allo people, in the quest to solve my suspension issues i'm replacing my passenger side drive shaft amongst other things. The motor spares shop ordered what we believed to be the correct item, but it appears different from the original. The first obvious thing is the width of the abs toothed ring, which is only 5mm on the new item, but at least double that on the original. Now i've had the drivers side shaft replaced 18months ago, and this one has the narrow teeth also, and hasn't given me any problems, the abs works fine, it appears the sensor can pick up the teeth okay. But my question lies in the picture below of the original shaft which has what appears to be a weight half way along the shaft, which the new one doesn't have. Is this actually needed on the car, or are replacements coming without it??

Many Thanks!

25022012588.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Stormduck,

I guess you are using non genuine parts? the item on the original shaft acts like a damper and would come on a genuine
replacement part.

As for non gen parts,when they are striped for recon this would be taken off the shaft in order to inspect,paint etc. etc.
its not a vital part but must do something to smooth out the drive take up imo.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Re: are 172 and 182 driveshaft the same?
5 different shafts, variety of differences between them all, including length and center bearing (or lack of)

From a CS expert!

Reaction score
yeah sorry, forgot to mention non-genuine. The last time i checked genuine was £250, whereas this was £110. Hmmm, think i'll pop back down the shop and see if they can investigate...there may well be a version available with this fitted non-genuine. They matched it up to my reg but did come back with two options, one being with the wider abs ring. Cheers chaps, being non-vital is the important bit in case they order the other one and it turns up without the damping bit as well.

Reaction score
yeah sorry, forgot to mention non-genuine. The last time i checked genuine was £250, whereas this was £110. Hmmm, think i'll pop back down the shop and see if they can investigate...there may well be a version available with this fitted non-genuine. They matched it up to my reg but did come back with two options, one being with the wider abs ring. Cheers chaps, being non-vital is the important bit in case they order the other one and it turns up without the damping bit as well.

Just bought a new passenger shaft from Renault the other day and only cost me £125