Reaction score
I've been looking in the garage pages of the forum under modifications and I've noticed that quite a few owners have removed the acoustic valve. What does it do? What is the advantage of removing it? and where is it?

I've had my trophy for a while now but only recently fitted a K&N panel filter, didn't want a big induction system (although i do love the sound) as i want the car to remain relatively standard. If i remove my acoustic valve will it allow for more cold air to go into the air box or am i balking up the wrong tree! Any ideas?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The A/V is located at the end of the second air feed that goes down in front of the front passenger wheel. It seems to be operated by compressed air/vacuum(?) and I don't think anyone has discovered when/why it opens and closes, I did mean to re connect mine when I took it out to experiment but nobody was around to press the go pedal.Also nobody seems to really know for sure why it's there, although EU noise emission regs are probably a good guess. By removing you will lose a kilo or so and the sound will have a little more growl.

Reaction score
Thanks m8! I may give it a go! It seems like a relatively straight forward job! Fitting the K&N panel filter recently means I can keep the car looking standard but removing the acoustic valve should give it more of a induction sound, seems to be best of both!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
trophy380 said:
Thanks m8! I may give it a go! It seems like a relatively straight forward job! Fitting the K&N panel filter recently means I can keep the car looking standard but removing the acoustic valve should give it more of a induction sound, seems to be best of both!

Does that panel filter use the second feed anyway?

Reaction score
I've removed the A/V and when cold, pick up from low revs is improved. The engine used to grumble below 2k revs (a bit like when you try and accelerate from 5th from 10mph). I also replaced the 2 squashed cr@ppy felt tubes that fed the airbox with flexible aluminum hoses.

The a/v is used to meet EU directive on noise emissions

Reaction score
You usually remove the whole lot when fitting a Maxogen kit. Think it says in the manual! :lol: as you get a blanking plug to put over where a pipe used to attach