BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I decided to remove the pin from the dampers today. After doing some research from various 'Damper pin removal mod' posts I thought id give it a go. I did the drivers side no problem but when i came to do the passengers side the grub screw would not move, i tried some WD40 but it never worked and i ended up having to drill it out and re-tapping it.
Anyways when I looked at the cap (once removed) renault have hammered the pin in right next to the threaded grub screw hole (and I mean right next to it) and forced the grub screw to get jammed (USELESS *****)
All sorted now so I set the dampers 30klicks from soft and went for a spin, its so much more responsive turn in, its a big improvement overall however past 60+ it tends to throw you about a bit too much for my liking so im gonna set them back to about 22 for everyday use. + theres alot of speed bumps where I live so its not ideal. I noticed i can take roundabouts a bit faster than before which i didnt think was possible :wink: So im very happy with it all :D Ill try Stiffening them up fully next time just for trials! has anyone set theres 40clicks+ yet?

Reaction score
most i have gone on mine is 37 on track.

almost exactly 1 year ago I tried mine on track un-pinned and was told to expect some understeer when they got too high...kept increasing the clicks every session and got upto 37 each side and it wasn't understeering......just kept turning in harder!!!

Haven't bothered going past 37 though, can't be bothered to risk understeer and me having to come in off track to turn them down....therefore losing track time :lol:

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
well I wont be adjusting them for time being now because the passenger side front damper has decided to pack in! its gone very soft and the cars stance is about 10mm lower on that side. NOT HAPPY!!!! :evil:
Something must of happened when ive been adjusting them, Should of left them alone but whats the point in having adjustable dampers if you cant adjust them!?
IF ITS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!! No matter how much i try to stiffen it up or soften it nothing happens so effectivley ive got 1 soft damper and 1 stiff damper. looks like its a trip to the cardoctor!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i did start to worry when you mentioned you'd drilled them.

i may have a spare passenger side one by next week if you're going to be in the market for one.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah cheers, well im definately in the market for one so just let me know.

S4M

Reaction score
My pins were removed by steve but i had a play with it today for the second time. Before i upped them to 30 clicks but found it a bit hard around the country lanes i used to get home ( Rubbish roads ) But now i have moved towards the city a bit more with lots of roundabouts and decent tarmac the 10 extra clicks has made the turn in alot more postive.

does anyone else find the whole "click" thing quite confusing lol im never sure if i have counted a click as too little or too less

:p

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
What like starting from 0, counting up to say 30 then thinking that doesnt feel like 30 clicks, i must have missed some numbers out. By which point your totally convinced you have miss counted and have to start again. And again... Telling yourself, Right this time count slower!

S4M

Reaction score
Yep thats it :D

Also sometimes it clicks sometimes it dosent, you just feel the click

u kno wot i meen ?

Reaction score
S4M said:
Yep thats it :D

Also sometimes it clicks sometimes it dosent, you just feel the click

u kno wot i meen ?

yeah i get that :lol:

you almost want to start over and check again :lol:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Beng266 "60+ clicks" :?

The most i've managed from mine is 43, both sides.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not yet. Im thinking about removing the damper and spring on the weekend and checking it over, just want to be 100% sure the damper has packed in.
Hopefully Cue will have a spare one which he will sell, if not ill be looking around for another secondhand one, failing that ill have to send it off to get rebuilt! :x

Reaction score
Ah mate there was one on ebay last week, it didnt even get any bids on it.

A guy called phil pearce, he's a member on here - could be worth PM'ing him?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cheers mate ive sent him a PM. thanks