Rear Damper Bushes

Reaction score
Trophy No.
This doesn’t seem to have been discussed much. Rear damper bushes, replace or not?

Reaction score
OEMs cannot be purchased separately, they come PIA to the rear damper assembly. Powerflex do them separately. Certainly replace if they're worn.
Also a super simple job to do :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Do not lose or throw away the nut which secures the bush. The damper rod thread is an unusual size and the nuts are not particularly
easy or cheap to source. I think they’re M9 with a 1mm pitch.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks to you both.
OEMs cannot be purchased separately, they come PIA to the rear damper assembly. Powerflex do them separately. Certainly replace if they're worn.
Also a super simple job to do :)
Neither the Trophy Sachs or the Koni Adjustable come with either the sleeve or bush. Its a 50k+ car so I will inspect and decide. Not that I have ever scrimped on the car but TBH it's fifty quid I can do without spending at the moment.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If you’re essex local I’d be happy to help.
Thank you for your kind offer but I'm down in Wallingford Nr Oxford so not really an option. I have squirted copious amounts of penetrating oil down the trailing arm in the vain hope that they will shift when I try again tomorrow.
Glass of wine is now calling.

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind offer but I'm down in Wallingford Nr Oxford so not really an option. I have squirted copious amounts of penetrating oil down the trailing arm in the vain hope that they will shift when I try again tomorrow.
Glass of wine is now calling.

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but what tools are you currently using/what methods have you tried so far?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Jesus, don't worry about that, I'm light years behind you. That is basically the problem, I have neither a buzz gun or breaker bar which I guess is the way forward.

Reaction score
Jesus, don't worry about that, I'm light years behind you. That is basically the problem, I have neither a buzz gun or breaker bar which I guess is the way forward.

Guns are great depending on the fastener but I’ll always go to a bar first. Can always try giving them a little nip tighter to crack the thread before undoing.
Its very crude and I don’t recommend it, but if you’re stuck, a long jack handle over a ratchet may help you out with some extra leverage. You may damage your ratchet doing this so be careful.
A torque wrench in reverse can also be handy if you need a larger than normal wrench.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks, I hadn't thought about a jack handle, may be worth a go but bars are pretty cheap so may just pop to halfords.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I changed mine and its worth it as the old bush does perish

Rear Suspension 03.JPGRear Suspension 04.JPGRear Suspension 05.JPG

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mmmm, they are definitely knackered. As I mentioned I will make a decision when I get the dampers off.