Reaction score
My trophy has done 76000 miles and has a full history. It has a tappety/rattly top end which is more noticeable now the weathers warm and i have the windows down, the noise is more noticeable on the over run when driving along narrow streets because the sound bounces off the walls. The de-phaser was changed at the 72000 mile service at rentech and the noise was picked up by Mike. I was wondering if this is common on these engines and if anyone has had it fixed and how much it was. It is annoying but hopefully not major. Any ideas what it is? Oh and Dave does your 174000 miler have the same problem?

Thanks
Martin

Reaction score
Mine is a little rattly/tappety top end, but nothing major, certainly no worse than any of the other 1*2's ive had. Did Mike give any possible reasons for it?

Reaction score
Mike didn't give any reasons but he said it wasen't too bad. I think it may have got a bit more noticeable, recently changed the oil and filter it now has gulf competition oil in it, i may also just be over sensitive as i tend to pick up on these things and i know the oil change may have made it more noticeable. I am not an expert on these engines so i value any advice, will get Tom to look at it when it goes in for the RS2. I also noticed that the car seems to not pull as well on warm days, i know that the air is more dense on colder days but it seems to make a noticeable difference.

Cheers.