Reaction score
Hi all.

I picked up my trophy the other day and i've now noticed a faint metalic rattling sound between 3000 and 3500 revs it's hard to tell where it's coming from from inside the car but i'd guess somewhere towards the front. any ideas would be much appreciated the car is standard if that helps.

Thanks

Dan.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Its really hard to pin point a rattle without actually hearing it or where it is coming from. From that info it sounds like it may be the exhaust on the heat shield ? Get out of the car, leave the door open, poke your head underneath the car and press the accelerator with your hand., see if its coming from underneath ?

Reaction score
Definately check the heat shield. Out Troph had been rattling and I found this had corroded around the fitting bolts and was hitting the back box. I just replace the fitting bolt washers with nice big ones and all was well.

Also check your exhaust mounting brackets as these can deteriorate badly as well.

Reaction score
Could be the fuel rail guard. Give it a shake. Just need a tighten with a 10mm socket. 2 bolts

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the notorious 3k exhaust rattle tbh. Search on CS, common problem tbh.

Reaction score
Iv got the same rattle. Was just about to post a topic on it to see if anyone had any ideas. had a feeling it was going to be the heat sheild or something similar, exhaust related as it sounds as though its coming from under the gear stick. Having a new zorst over the next couple weeks so ill get it done at the same time!!

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys,

I've had a look underneath and im fairly sure its the heat shield but not being very good mechanically i'm not 100%. I've asked a friend to have a look who's a mechanic so i'll see what he says. Then i'll update you all later.

Dan.

Reaction score
I was experiencing a rattle such as this, it was getting worse as time wore on. However, finally got my Orb fitted on Tuesday and can now confirm that the rattle was unquestionably exhaust related as it's completely gone. No idea which part of the system was causing it- I gave the cat/silencer/back box a bit of a shake once off the car and could not identify anything loose.. Could it be the mounts?

Reaction score
Right then, ive had it looked at and it was the heat shield. It was pretty much what tonto said about replacing the washers with bigger ones so it was just a 2 minute job in the end.