Reaction score
Ok, I currently own a S2 106 Rallye. Absolutly love the car to bits, I've owned it for 3 and a half years and is standard on the outside (including the white steelies) and I have a straight through exhaust + de-cat.

I've toyed with getting something faster for a few months now, but I don't want to do anything drastic to the Rallye engine wise. So, come September when I turn 25 and reach 5 years NCB in November I was looking at going for something like a Trophy.

Your thoughts, and any advice you've encountered along the way/common faults to keep in mind?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Don't know enough about your current car to issue comparative remarks - I know what it it is, but not much more, sorry - but I've recently bought a Trophy and I love it. I keep going in the garage to drool over it.

Can't fault the handling or the performance, and I've driven some cracking cars.

Only niggle is it's French and a bit flimsy - but you've got a 106 :roll: so you're used to French cars!

Reaction score
I've had a 306 GTI-6. The Trophy is in a different league - as you'd expect from a brand new hot hatch.

You're talking huge price differences so you normally get what you pay for; in the case of the Trophy even more so.

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
Hi

106 Rallye is a great car, I still own my 205 GTI that I've had for 2 years, it was my first car and I absolutely love it. I went for a drive this evening and it was proper fun. But my Trophy, which I bought a couple of weeks ago is in a different league. There's no other way to put it, The straight line speed, the cornering grip and stability, the brakes and the feedback are just in a class of their own.

There are lots of great cars out there at the moment and I thought long and hard and talked to lots of people and read lots of magazines and out of all the cars made between 1985 and now, I chose the Trophy. It really is an amazing car, it's combination of performance and drivability are excellent. Every journey is fun. And it's an absolute bargain, Mine cost £13K and had 1900 miles (run-in for me, thanks!) on the clock and was shinier than the day it left the factory, having been permaguarded. The suspension on it's own cost 4 grand for god's sake! The power to weight of a Golf R32 (Forget the MK5 GTI at 150bhp/ton) and quicker round a track too.

Anyway, I could go on more about it or I could just tell you to buy one. Just buy one, you'll never regret it. Speak to Steve at allvehicles.com, he's a really nice guy and is a proper enthusiast who loves these cars so he's the man to speak to (and arrange a test drive with). He used to be area manager for Renault before he went private so he knows his stuff and has built up a great reputation.

Lastly, buy one!

G

In Crotatia we had not have this car like you say 106. How does they look like picture?

Is this trophy to be faster than the golf? I still look for the trophy in red for the left to drive but may to get the right if people know to one for sale. I ask in Renault for to see but he tell it that it is not left now. I think for to be a girl they not like to sell me.

Day

Reaction score
106rallye01.jpg

I think you would need to purchase a left hand drive car from Switzerland should you want one Sabine.

Reaction score
A very close friend of mine has a 106 S2 Rallye. Excellent cars apart from the fact that you have to make sure you have a tube of superglue in the glove box to repair all the bits that fall off.

IMHO I would go for the Trophy, as it will outhandle the 106 round a track, and is alot quicker (well as long as it hasnt got a Supercharger on it LOL)

In terms of smiles per pound, i have not driven another car that comes close to the Trophy, it handles like it is on rails, the seats are so comfy, the engine is really responsive and the looks that you get when some guy in a modded saxo thinks he can keep up with you are excellent.

The 106 is a great car if you strip it totally, fit a roll cage, buckets, do aload of headwork, cams, throttle bodies etc. But then all it is going to be is a track day car. The Trophy can be that and a normal every day car, without any of the downsides.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

It's looking more likely that I'll be going for a Trophy for my next car, but I have to wait until at least the tail end of this year.

I love the Rallye to bits, really such a fun car to drive. I've been on a few tracks with, after the first time it was obvious the brakes were far too dangerous - even for road use, so i fitted 206 Gti (the original, not 180) on the front and immediately noticed a marked improvment.

I've lost count of the amount of times the little Saxo/Corsa boys have tried racing me, even my mum shows them hows it's done when she uses the car to go shopping and that :lol: But as soon as I saw in the press that Renault were releasing the final incarnation of the Clio 182 I was in love :p

The Rallye isn't without it's faults. Hell, It's FRENCH! lol. but any problems have been easily fixed. I'm a member of the Rallye Register, very good bunch of people who are always willing and able to help a fellow member in distress. I sincerely hope over the coming years this site takes off like www.106rallye.co.uk has, would be nice to have a parade lap at FCS like us Rallye's did last year :p

enough rambling, here's a pic of my baby (until that is, i get the Trophy :wink: )

Attachments

• DSCN0921.JPG
    DSCN0921.JPG
    386.3 KB · Views: 403
Reaction score
Oh it is very clean, the wheels are the hardest thing to keep in good condition as they have a tendancy to turn a horrible yellow colour.

Thank god for wonderwheels 8)