Reaction score
im happy that the renault beat the focus round the track, think it did it in 1.28.1 and focus 1.29.3, its 73 bhp less and £2000 cheaper but i will say the focus is much better looking and with all the luxuries on board itl be a better bet for everyday driving. if i wanted the car for performance and handling itl be r26r but everything else has to be focus

Reaction score
I still think it's comparing apples and oranges. The Meggy is shaped like a hot hatch, but that's it.

Focus RS is a usable hatch, if you're going to buy a stripped-out 2 seater, why buy a Megane at all and? not just get an Elise or similar?

Plus one was on on semi slicks, the other wasn't. If it'd been raining, it would've been a right laugh.

And as you say, the RS wins on looks!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
To be honest the fact that the RS was only 0.4 seconds slower than the R26R is more of an achievement to the RS than the R26R. IMO.

Reaction score
As Johnny says above, not a fair comparison. Completely strip the RS, put it on semi-slicks and I reckon the outcome would be a bit different.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well the Stig got very similar times but I think us lesser mortals would have a lot more trouble getting the times out of the Focus than we might with the R26R. But two different cars really.

Reaction score
BenG said:
To be honest the fact that the RS was only 0.4 seconds slower than the R26R is more of an achievement to the RS than the R26R. IMO.

It was 1.2 seconds slower. The R26R will beat it on any track, even if the RS had the same tyres I still think the R26R would win. The RS is so tail happy though!! looks like great fun.

As some people said the RS is much more use able and you're more likely to be able to use the straight line speed on the road than the cornering of the Megane. But lets not take anything away from the Megane its still a very fast car in a straight line!

Reaction score
Swings and roundabouts,
Strip the RS out and put it on road legal slicks and it will be quicker than the R26R.
Give the R26R an extra 70 BHP and that would be quicker than the stripped out RS.

I did read somewhere they tested the RS on slicks and didnt really get much better times out of it...

A more fare comparison would have been a remapped R26 against the RS. Or a remapped new Meg when they come out.
The RS is a good looking car but for the money i would rather get something different, like a Evo or Exige.

Reaction score
Ossie87 said:
BenG said:

It was 1.2 seconds slower. The R26R will beat it on any track, even if the RS had the same tyres I still think the R26R would win. The RS is so tail happy though!! looks like great fun.

As some people said the RS is much more use able and you're more likely to be able to use the straight line speed on the road than the cornering of the Megane. But lets not take anything away from the Megane its still a very fast car in a straight line!

I think Ossie is right the RS loves to oversteer which looks like great fun. I think this has helped it get such great reviews but probably slows it down a little on track. I'd rather take it as it is :D