Reaction score
OK - It's easy so I won't even post the question - maximise the photo to have a good look then complete the answer:

The wheels in the photo are ****** ** *** **** ****.

Just to assist - I got my track wheels/Tyres Speedline corse 2118's 15 inch rims with Toyo R888 GG (195/50/15).

Tried them on the road, about 2 percent speedo error compared to the 16" turinis, but almost 2 kg heavier!! (each one). tyres a bit noisier but I'm not using them on the road (normally). Didn't have them for the last trackday but will let you know how they go after the next one.

Now I'm searching for a good start point for the tyre pressures ...?

Have another (strange) wheel related question - will post separately :D

Reaction score
They look good, but I'm surprised there's that much difference in weight! (I assume that is including tyres - so the alloys are lighter maybe, but the extra rubber makes it heavier?)

Out of interest, did you go for 15s purely for price of track tyres?

Reaction score
Matbrown said:
The wheels in the photo are ~ horrible.

What do i win?

Mat.

A weeks course in how to improve your taste :lol:

Wrong answer by the way.

Reaction score
littleandy0410 said:
They look good, but I'm surprised there's that much difference in weight! (I assume that is including tyres - so the alloys are lighter maybe, but the extra rubber makes it heavier?)

Out of interest, did you go for 15s purely for price of track tyres?

Yep, inc the tyres - didn't weigh the rims separately - amazed!! I went for the 15's primarily for the cost of tyres but also took some advice from those who know better here who suggested the 15's work well on the track. 8kg to lose - must lay off the red wine a bit :D

Reaction score
Yeah the 2118 are much heavier than the Turinis, can't remember how much (I did weigh them both without tyres) Think it was around 1.6-1.8kg's iirc.

Track pressures, I aim for around 30psi all round when hot. (Around 24-26 cold) Have a play around to get it how you want to suit circuit or how you drive

Keith

Reaction score
The general rule of thumb for a road car on track is set the tyres to the motorway/high load setting when tyres cold, go out get some heat in them check pressures again and then bring them back down to the motorway/high load levels.

Many folk incorrectly assume you should go out with lower tyre pressures as heat make pressure rise, this actually overheats the tyres as the tread blocks move about to much and can damage the sidewalls. Always better to bring pressures down than let the heat make them go up.

And you can play about with pressures to make front end turn in better, the rear of Clio is light and hard to generate heat so going slightly higher at back makes it more playful and turn in better.

Slicks or proper track day orientated tyres are a different matter.

Reaction score
I'm sure the R888's Are trackday oriented, the 30 psi hot target looks a good start thanks: a bit lower than I'm used to with the Porker track setup (38 hot) Dont want to go too low and risk rolling the edges though.

Didn't buy the rims for looks - they are just track wheels, still have the Turinis for the road.

No- one spotted I put the wheels on the wrong side of the car! (the Toyos are handed), will mount them correctly next time!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have to admit that I'm not liking those though you now have a good reason to fit the mark fish lowering springs. Btw did notice but didn't want to embarras you ;-)

Reaction score
OK, look, they are not there to look good, they are there just for trackdays. So no need for the lowering springs - the car is on the normal Turinis 99% of the time: If I was going to get embarrased I'd not have put the picture up! - too old to get embarrased these days :)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
for the track who cares what they look like?

I presume you went for the alloy 2118's - my ones are lighter than turini's but i got the magnesium ones...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
This has just reminded me, does anyone know anything more about tyres like the R888's becoming illegal in the UK in the near future, suppose I ought to go and check really as it's a little off topic.