Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a couple of questions about the clutch/gearbox on my Trophy and I wanted to see if anybody else had experienced the same things.

1. Being able to beat the synchro in 5th gear sometimes? This has only happened really occasionally, but there have been times where I've changed from 4th to 5th really quickly and get a slight grind. As said, doesn't do it any other times and isn't consistent.

2. Pulling away in 1st gear when using the car first thing in the morning does anyone get a vibration through the clutch pedal when it gets to the biting point? It feels like something is catching on something! It does this every time I use the car but only the 1st time the clutch is engaged and never again for the rest of the journey.

3. Where is the bite point on peoples clutches? Mine is pretty high up the pedal travel and I am wondering if the clutch has seen better days and needs replacing!?

Thinking that these issues might be related, be good to see if anyone else has had these issues?!

Thanks,

Patrick

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the gear change might be a bit too quick for the syncro to keep up. Is it when it's cold? Without knowing how you drive i'd say slow the change down, or let the box warm up.

My clutch has juddered a couple of times, I think it's just a combination of load, engine speed and clutch position that causes it, and i certainly haven't thought any more of it. My car has 50k and I do have in mind that a clutch may be due in as little as 10k.

If I can add one thing, my clutch pedal is fairly heavy, did do a search for any topics on heavy clutches but didn't find anything. Is yours, or anyones, feel heavy? Is this standard on a Trophy? I don't remember my Cup having such a heavy clutch.

Nick.

Reaction score
Yeah nick my clutch is quite heavy as well. It seems a bit too heavy for a small car really! My old CTR had a feather-light clutch pedal almost as if it wasnt even doing anything. I assume the geometry of the clutch linkage is to blame?

I cant say my clutch judders from cold - it seems fine. The CTR had a slight 'muffled squeak' when i pulled away first thing in the morning and then was fine until the following morning - common on them so i'm told. was never a problem. I can only assume it's just something to do with the clutch plate needing a slight bit of warmth in it for it to work as intended.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Nick.

It does it when changing from 4th - 5th at about 4500 prm +. Not sure if it does it when it isn't up to temp as I am very gentle with it when it is cold.

Clutch does feel overly heavy - problem is I have nothing to compare it to as this is the only Clio I have ever driven so all these things could be a characteristic of the car!

Patrick

Reaction score
i did once ask one of the mechanics at the dealers about the height of the clutch "they're all like that " he repled...
:D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Looks like I'm going to be in the minority by saying I like a bit of action from the clutch, I hate it when you get in a car, push the clutch and it feels like your foot disappears through the floor.

Reaction score
I would agree with Hoolio, its nice to have a clutch with some feel! drove a 307GTI around for a bit and the clutch was so light i just couldn't get on with it!

Pat - Haven't experienced what you have explained in your first two points, maybe your changing gear at the speed of superman :lol:

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Looks like I'm going to be in the minority by saying I like a bit of action from the clutch, I hate it when you get in a car, push the clutch and it feels like your foot disappears through the floor.

I agree! It's nice to have a meaty pedal, but becomes a pain in a traffic jam!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I had problems with my gearbox a long time ago. Fairly similar to yours but not the same. My issue was changing down from 4th to 3rd gear it was first notchy, especially when cold. This gradually got worse and would occasionally crunch. My first step was to replace the gearbox oil but then I took it to Renault and they replaced the gearbox under warranty. I also had a new clutch put in as they only charged me for the clutch at a discount, with no labor so seemed silly not to.

I always think my clutch pedal is soft until I drive something else. Nice to have some feel. It does creek occasionally if I have been stuck in traffic for a long while.

Dont think the gearbox is designed for fast gear changes....

Reaction score
One thing to bear in mind, I have driven/moved 172 Cups, my old Trophy, a 182, a 182 Cup, a 182 with Cup pack all within a very short space of time and all of them felt different with very different biting points. I don't think any 2 'harsh' clutches feel the same.

Reaction score
Mine's a heavy clutch with bite towards the top of the pedal travel, and feels very vague around bit point, nowhere near as sharp as other cars I've driven.